Outside Edge Route
<< Crucible < Jabberwocky | Ordinary Route > Kirkus Route >>
One of the great Welsh mountain routes. It takes a superb line across the buttress, finishing in a glorious position on the upper 'outside edge'. Start below a block overhang towards the left of the face.
1) 18m. Climb rightwards up a groove below the block. Move right around it and up to a stance on the top.
2) 35m. A thin pull gains a ledge, then make a rising traverse up left to the arete. Climb this to a small ledge (possible belay) and then head direct on good holds to the right-hand end of Sunset Ledge.
3) 12m. Move your belay 6m to the left. Traverse left around some ribs to gain a groove. Climb this to a ledge and belay.
4) 25m. Climb up and left to a corner-crack. Gain this by a tricky move, then follow the corner before moving left onto the rib and up to a belay ledge.
5) 20m. Easy climbing up a rib gains the escape path, follow this around to the left, or...
6) 20m. Climb a short groove with a projecting block in it to gain the top of the ridge and great views all around.
FA. J.M.Edwards, C.Palmer 14.7.1931