A Winter's Tale
<< Eye of the Hurricane < Astrodome | In the Land of Grey and Pink > Hippodrome >>
So you want a major expedition and you want to test all your climbing skills. It's Winter. Instead of going to Spain armed with Rockfax 07, come to Craig Pen y Gogarth and climb this serious right to left girdle of the crag. The girdle to end all girdles! Approach as for St. Tudno's Main (see page 118). Continue walking past the crag to a large block at the start of a traverse line (see
1) 40m. Follow the break to a thread belay.
2) 35m. Continue to a cramped stance on the corner of Red Sentinal. This involves a 10m protectionless hand traverse.
3) 30m. Continue to the arete and a poor wooden! belay.
4) 15m. A short crack leads to good belays and a large ledge.
5) 42m. Cross to an old thread (Astrodome) and move up left to a higher break. Follow this to a poor small stance.
6) 15m. Continue left to a grassy terrace. Belay well back.
FA. A.Moore, T.Brindle 13/14.12.86