<< None < None | Acheron > Doom >>
One of the all-time Mid Wales classic routes that weaves its way up a stunningly-located buttress. The views and climbing are well worth the effort of both the wait for a dry period and the longish approach drive. The climb gets plenty of ascents and the rock is solid and clear of vegetation.
1) 25m. Climb the cleanest line up leftwards and then back right to a belay below steeper ground.
2) 8m. Move up and then rightwards to out-flank the steepest ground, before accessing good ledges above.
3) 14m. Traverse left along the ledge and continue to a ramp. Move up the ramp and then make an interesting traverse left across a slab before ascending to a good ledge.
4) 14m. Move left along the ledge and continue via a gap to moves slightly down, and then up and leftwards, to a belay at an overhung ledge close to the arete.
5) 8m. Move left around the arete - exposed - and climb steeply on good holds to easier ground and a belay on a tree.
6) 20m. Scramble up to, and then stand on, a large block. Make an awkward move up the corner above and finish up easier ground to grassy ledges on top of the buttress.
FA. J.A.Sumner, J.P.Henrickson 4.4.1972