UKC

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SteveM 22 Dec 2005
Is there a pub, bar or vendor of things alcoholic close to the Cairngorm Mountain campsites? Does Glenmore Lodge have a bar, open to visitors like PYB?

Save me from the perils of Aviemore High Street. You're my only hope.
Kinley 22 Dec 2005
In reply to SteveM:

Never been to Ashton under Lyne then?
 Doug 22 Dec 2005
In reply to SteveM: worth checking it's open first, but Glenmore has had a bar open to all for a few years
OP SteveM 22 Dec 2005
In reply to Doug:

The lodge was closed last weekend when we went for look. Anyone know when it re-opens? (Their website wasn't any use).
Wingman@work 22 Dec 2005
In reply to SteveM:

try the pyb website and have a look when they start their winter courses......
RobE 22 Dec 2005
In reply to Kinley:

Or Peterborough?

Or Tredegar?
gaffer 22 Dec 2005
In reply to SteveM:
The Old Bridge Inn is OK and isn't on Aviemore main street.
Anonymous 22 Dec 2005
In reply to gaffer:
> (In reply to SteveM)
> The Old Bridge Inn is OK and isn't on Aviemore main street.

But beware if driving because the police are red hot between Aviemore and the Lodge.

Slug xx

Trailer Boy 22 Dec 2005
In reply to Anonymous: The Old Bridge Inn is your best bet in Aviemore, as mentioned. Glenmore Lodge does have a bar open to all but don't know what their Christmas hours are like. The Coylumbridge hotel also has a public bar but will be totally overrun with screaming kids. Failing that, The Cairn Hotel in Carrbridge is excellent though another 5 minutes North of Aviemore. Good value pub grub and good atmosphere. Dont know what time the Ski Lodge closes during the festive time but it also has a bar. From what I can remember they used to do a couple of late ones at Xmas.

Cheers.

Trailer.
 Doug 22 Dec 2005
In reply to Trailer Boy: Is the Woodshed at Coylumbridge still open ? not been there for (many) years but used to be handy if camping at the Coylumbridge campsite
 Trailer Boy 22 Dec 2005
In reply to Doug: No, The Woodshed shut about 11-12years ago. It used to be where all the staff from the hotel used to go after work but they shut it and turned it into the personnel block, those were the days.
OP SteveM 22 Dec 2005
In reply to Trailer Boy:

> Dont know what time the Ski Lodge closes during the festive time but it also has a bar. From what I can remember they used to do a couple of late ones at Xmas.

That'd be a receipe for disaster trying to drive back down the steep roads to the valley
 SonyaD 22 Dec 2005
In reply to SteveM: My very 1st time up Aviemore I was staying at the Hostel down the road from Glenmore Lodge. One eve fancied just a wee quite pint and someone from the Hostel said about the Lodge. So I took a wander up. Not really knowing where I was going as I'd never been there before I walked up the road to the Lodge and saw a building on the right. Looking through the window, I saw a couple of blokes with pints and though, ah this must be it. Entered the building and thought, this is a bit scummy. There was a makeshift bar in the corner, a couple of plastic tables and chairs and a few blokes at the bar, staring at me. Feeling rather uncomfortable I wandered over and asked for my pint and was this was poured into a plastic cup. Started feeling more and more uncomfortable and eventually asked if this was the Lodge bar. Turns out it was a MOD place I had wandered into, ooops! Stood blethering for a wee minuted, downed my pint and got out of there fast as one of the blokes said there was a whole load of them turning up at any minute!
OP SteveM 23 Dec 2005
In reply to lasonj:

ROFLOL! I'll try not to do that
 SonyaD 23 Dec 2005
In reply to SteveM: Lol! It could only happen to me! The Lodge building is further up the same road and very obvious. The MOD building is a basic looking scummy building, with no signs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...