UKC

Beginner grit but not south valley or plantation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So, I was hoping to take someone who's never bouldered outside (let alone on grit) before out at the weekend, and I was thinking about where to go. I'm Sheffield based and want to stay in an hour's radius tops. I'm being a little selfish here because I've used South Valley boulders and Plantation before when showing someone new around, but I'm tired of these venues and they're really crowded at the weekends.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for slightly less trodden venues that have a good grade spread? In a perfect world there would be a couple of V7s and 8s for me to do as well, but I can pootle around on 5s and 6s without complaint.

Thanks for any recommendations this post gets!

Si dH 19 Apr 2021
In reply to Abowlofpetunias:

Cratcliffe upper boulders. Fairly well trodden but not like the plantation. Lots of easy stuff; t-crack and Jerry's trav just next door, or Wish area.

Post edited at 19:16
 tjdodd 19 Apr 2021

Is Cratcliffe/Robin Hood's Stride too far?

tjdodd 19 Apr 2021
In reply to Si dH:

Beat me to it by 30 seconds.

Cratcliffe sounds good, any other suggestions of the top of your collective heads?

Smallfield Dale, finishing with the Dancing Man Block for a few harder things.

Not quite as suitable as Cratcliffe (or BS/plantation) but you will definitely be on your own if that is more important to you. 

DerwentDiluted 19 Apr 2021

> Does anyone have any good recommendations for slightly less trodden venues that have a good grade spread? In a perfect world there would be a couple of V7s and 8s for me to do as well, but I can pootle around on 5s and 6s without complaint.

> Thanks for any recommendations this post gets!

Here's somewhere new!

Brownlow Rocher

Offwidth 20 Apr 2021

Some starters for you: Burbage West, Over Owler Tor, Ox Stones, White Edge, Curbar Edge (far south and Moon Buttress).

ChrisBrooke 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Was going to suggest Over Owler Tor. Plenty of easy stuff and Sisyphus and Spider Crack Sit for something harder. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...