UKC

Bouldering near Whitby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Obi Wan 04 Apr 2023

Any recommendations for bouldering in or near Whitby?

Off on a family holiday so hoping to get out for a bit of a boulder either with kids in tow, or for a couple of hours one evening.

I am limited for room in the car so will only have my flight pad, so low problems or traverses with good landings.

Any ideas would be welcome. 

Slackboot 05 Apr 2023
In reply to Obi Wan:

I guess the place to go would be Stoup Brow the home of 'Barry the Boulder'. It overlooks Robin Hoods Bay about 12 minutes by car South of Whitby. Look it up on UKC.

Having said that I have never been there yet but the photos of Franco on Barry look well impressive!

If you have a day spare then try to get onto some of the crags on the North York Moors. About an hours drive from Whitby to some of them. Scugdale and The Wainstones are good for example.

Post edited at 05:56
 Lh88 05 Apr 2023
In reply to Obi Wan:

The Bridestones near Dalby are close and in a scenic setting. Excellent for a family trip/picnic. The rock is soft sandstone so needs to be dry.

Bridestones (North Yorkshire)

Slackboot 05 Apr 2023
In reply to Lh88:

> The Bridestones near Dalby are close and in a scenic setting. Excellent for a family trip/picnic. The rock is soft sandstone so needs to be dry.

Definitely a good shout! I forgot about those. A fun place.

ianstevens 05 Apr 2023
In reply to Obi Wan:

Only all of the moors! 

OP Obi Wan 05 Apr 2023
In reply to Obi Wan:

Thanks everyone! I had no idea there was another Bridestones, looks good 👍 as does Stoup

OP Obi Wan 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Slackboot:

Don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a Topo for Bridestones from? The guidebook for North Yorks won't arrive in time.

Slackboot 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Obi Wan:

Can't remember if there is one in the old Cleveland CC guide to the moors. I will have a look ...if I can find it!

Climber_Bill 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Slackboot:

I've just had a look in my old 1985 Cleveland CC guide to the moors and there are descriptions of the routes / problems at the Bridestones, but no topo.

Slackboot 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Climber_Bill:

> I've just had a look in my old 1985 Cleveland CC guide to the moors and there are descriptions of the routes / problems at the Bridestones, but no topo.

Ah ok. That saves me looking! I remember that the descriptions were enough to do quite a lot of the problems. 

OP Obi Wan 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Slackboot:

Is that online somewhere? Or a physical book?

Slackboot 07 Apr 2023
In reply to Obi Wan:

It is a published guidebook. It is probably out of print now. If I can find mine I will take a photo of the relevant pages and send them to your email.

Post edited at 06:42
 Slackboot 07 Apr 2023
In reply to Obi Wan:

I have found my old guide and have photo'd the relevant pages. If you let me know your email address I will send them to you. ( The photos aren't brilliant but should be legible)

OP Obi Wan 10 Apr 2023
In reply to Slackboot:

Sorry, I've only just read this. That would be great.

I have emailed you.

Cheers

Slackboot 10 Apr 2023
In reply to Obi Wan:

Sent. Enjoy your visit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...