UKC

Burbage South Group Sat 10th June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 08 Jun 2023

Hello all,

Just a heads up there will be a larger than normal group (Numbers have been capped to 20) heading out to Burbage boulders on Saturday morning. 

It is a free meet up that has been arranged by Psychi with an aim of introducing climbers to the outdoors, teaching the ethics of outdoor climbing and the countryside code.

A huge influx of climbers into the sport has meant that there is more people than ever heading to the crags, many for their first time. As such they may not have the knowledge around tick marks, brushing holds, cleaning shoes, BBQs etc. 

We are hoping to pass on some valuable information to make sure that the crags and surrounding areas are respected.

We will be splitting up into smaller groups once at the crag to minimise disruption.

Any advice or recommendations from the community is warmly welcomed.

Cheers,

Ben

EarlyBird 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Ben_Climber:

You've certainly picked the right spot for a discussion around the ethics of BBQs in National Parks

OP Ben_Climber 08 Jun 2023
In reply to EarlyBird:

Agreed, will be a good teaching point given the fires last week.

steveriley 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Good work on spreading the crag love, can you mention the BMC RAD for checking latest crag access too?

OP Ben_Climber 08 Jun 2023
In reply to steveriley:

Absolutely.

FYI this is a rough list of what we want to cover on the day.

• Parking
  • Livestock, farmers, access, bird restrictions.
  • Rock types. Grit, limestone seasons etc. How weather makes a difference.
  • BBQs, wild fires. Burbage has just had a recent fire, so this will be a good teaching point.
  • Tick marks, brushing holds.
  • Cleaning shoes, polished rock, chipping.
  • Litter pick
  • Paths and erosion.
  • Guide books, other information sources, BMC RAD
  • Spotting
  • Disturbance, music, large groups etc.

We are going to try and put a number of these events on throughout the rest of the year, all free of charge at a number of different crags. I will post when they are happening just so folks have a heads up.

steveriley 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Sounds like a great initiative, ideal for those people not already in the loop. Good luck.

Offwidth 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Ben_Climber:

A few more you could add:

>Trashed pockmarks due to overbrushing and aretes that are close to trashed from the same. Generally the 'healthy' hard rock surface looks grey and the newly exposed softer matrix a sandy red. Damaged rock is best avoided.

>Ticks and midges and why long trousers and other counter measures are important.

>Flora...typical plants and invasive species

>Bouldering mats.. these protect the ground as well as the climber. Ground erosion is obviously linked to the most popular problems.

On parking, the small area at the end of the track can end up with cars or the gate blocked due to the inconsiderate. The bigger area near fox house is suffering wear from overuse.

On guidebooks and online UKC logs these are mainly the work of volunteers who care (even the commercial producers like Rockfax). Read the information at the front... it is often important.

Have a great day

Post edited at 17:27
In reply to Ben_Climber:

This sounds like a great project. Nice one for putting it together and making it happen.

I was wondering if you had thought of Burbage South due it's easy access by public transport from Sheffield? Would be good to share this with people new to the sport. Before I had a car I spent a lot of years accessing climbing by bus, train, bike, hitching. Now I still take the train and the bus to the crag when possible. Is pointing out crags accessible without a car on the agenda? Sorry, I know it's another thing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...