UKC

Cows at bowden

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jasmineryan 11 Feb 2023

This sounds super ott but I'm so scared of getting trampled by cows and am thinking of going to bowden or back bowden on Tuesday but I am worried that I will have to walk through land with cows on. Does anyone know if there are cows on the walk in to bowden or back bowden at this time of year? Or if there's a way to avoid them? And has anyone ever had trouble with cows when out bouldering? 

NorthernGoat 11 Feb 2023
In reply to Jasmineryan: All the cattle at Shaftoe is still inside, might be the same further up the county. 

CantClimbTom 11 Feb 2023
In reply to Jasmineryan:

Cows with calves can be defensive. When stirred up by a dog running about inbetween them they can be trouble. If you don't walk through a herd out in pasture with calves (it's February, you won't) and don't have an unruly dog then the cows are going to be curious not dangerous, they'll be fine don't worry.

If you see a more solid squarer looking big "cow" on its own in a field with a tuft under its rear tummy, that's the one to avoid. 

petegunn 11 Feb 2023
In reply to Jasmineryan:

Some just want some love

youtube.com/watch?v=-pBMAvAUFBI&

wbo2 11 Feb 2023
In reply to Jasmineryan:  Generally no, but not surprising them is a good idea.  And they don't like dogs full stop and will very often behave aggressively.  

Apart from that, no problems

David Cowley 12 Feb 2023
In reply to Jasmineryan:

I've climbed here many times and encountered cows regularly and had no issues even with young in the field, but this is without a dog. They are only likely to be encountered from fence to crag which is only a couple hundred metres

In reply to Jasmineryan:

Slightly off topic but has anyone else had problems with the cows en route to Shuck's Lair (Fairy Steps, Lakes)?  The two times I have tried to go there, I was nearly stampeded by cows.  Both times I tried to keep away, circumnavigated the herd at a distance; both times I was pursued and only just got out of the field before I was caught. 

ianstevens 12 Feb 2023
In reply to Jasmineryan:

Never had a problem at Cowden (sic) or Back Cowden (yes, same bad pun twice). Shaftoe isn’t great sometimes though, the herd like to hang out between you and the cars in my experience making them a little hard to dodge sometimes. Obviously it’s the farmers field so just have to deal with it, but not great if you’re not a cow fan.

Lankyman 13 Feb 2023
In reply to Jasmineryan:

Don't ever go to The Bull Stones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...