UKC

how do you train

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 19 Sep 2021

I need information on how people train at climbing for my GCSE DT, I'm looking primarily at home training and problems you may find with ease of use, aesthetics, difficulty gradient, portability etc..

please include, 1) how long you have climbed for, 2) where you train 3) the equipment you use to train, 4) problems you find with the equipment you use

climberchristy 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Removed UserPiggy:

Can I suggest that if you really want anyone to respond positively to this, that you don't start your thread with "I need...". Comes across as very abrupt and rude. 

> I need information on how people train at climbing for my GCSE DT, I'm looking primarily at home training and problems you may find with ease of use, aesthetics, difficulty gradient, portability etc..

> please include,

1) how long you have climbed for,

40 years

2) where you train

converted double height double garage at home

3) the equipment you use to train

Bouldering wall with 20, 30 and 50 degree wall and roofs, beastmaker 1000 and 2000 and a campus board

4) problems you find with the equipment you use

None

paul

Removed User 19 Sep 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

thanks man

sbc23 19 Sep 2021

1) 25 years

2) I don't

3) none

4) N/A. See above. 

As a suggestion, you could look at a system for heavier climbers to use a fingerboard at less than full bodyweight. Maybe stood on a digital scale (Tare & read negative) or some kind of counter-weight weight assistance belt

gravy 19 Sep 2021
In reply to sbc23:

(1) 30 years

(2) Sometimes at home, sometimes at an indoor wall obvious not enough

(3) Home: small bouldering wall, weights, fingerboard, pullup bar, floor mat

(4) Training is boring compared with climbing

McHeath 20 Sep 2021

1. 45 years. 2. At home/on the local wall. 3. Homemade fingerboard (at home) / Rock Rings if I'm away; YouTube vids for core, reps on autobelay for stamina. 4. No problems with the equipment, but getting my arse off the sofa is sometimes quite a challenge.

Gradient: only started seriously training during the first lockdown 18 months ago, so chuffed to be still getting steadily stronger at 62. 

Aesthetics: watching me train is probably not a pretty sight  

Post edited at 08:57

1) 4 years or so

2) Two gyms, a bouldering one and sport one. Also sometimes at home. 

3) Just the climbing walls themselves, and on rare occasion my own hangboard. I find the autobelay very helpful for endurance training, so that gets some use too. 

4) None really. I bought the wrong beastmaker, I suppose. Oh, and my gym could do with 1 or 2 extra autobelays so my endurance training wouldn't be quite so boring. 

C Witter 20 Sep 2021
In reply to climberchristy:

> Can I suggest that if you really want anyone to respond positively to this, that you don't start your thread with "I need...". Comes across as very abrupt and rude. 

You do realise that this is a child?
Best,
C

Derek Furze 20 Sep 2021

1) how long you have climbed for - 50 years

2) where you train - at home and some use of indoor walls.  Sometimes sessions on crags are 'training; focused including laps on a shunt

3) the equipment you use to train - fingerboard (Metolious) and weights, bouldering and lead walls, shunt

4) problems you find with the equipment you use - none really.  If I had more space I would add a campus board or system board, so the problem is 'lack of equipment at home to enable a full range of training'

Derek

C Witter 20 Sep 2021

Home training:

1) over 7 years

2) I train outside (particularly bouldering), at indoor walls, and at home - which is a cramped terraced house. Specifically, in the kitchen and the doorway to the bathroom, as this was the only space available.

3) At home, I use a yoga mat to do floor exercises, a pull up bar and a hangboard that I can mount/remove from the bar.

4. The problems I have are: 
a) there's not enough space in my house
b) it's rented accommodation, so I had to be very careful to find a way of mounting the equipment without screwing anything into the wall
c) it's hard to find a sturdy enough door frame for the pull-up bar
d) the pull-up bar is held in place purely by expansion, which creates outward pressure on the door frame. This has slightly damaged the paintwork...!

I hope that helps!

Removed User 20 Sep 2021
In reply to C Witter:

thanks for the support, i did sound like an arse in fairness, but i think he could do with some of his own advice

Removed User 20 Sep 2021
In reply to C Witter:

this is perfect, thanks

Removed User 20 Sep 2021
In reply to Derek Furze:

thank you, this is very helpful

Jon Stewart 20 Sep 2021

Climbed for about 20 years.

I train at the climbing wall, doing routes, bouldering, bouldering board and circuit boards. Don't train at home.

A problem I have that might be relevant is that I've got a fingerboard in the cupboard I bought in lockdown but never mounted. I don't have any tools at home beyond basic DIY stuff and no workspace. I could probably get it mounted somewhere but there's no obvious place for it where there's a suitable solid structure.

The best bet would be something mounted on a pull up bar that fits easily/quickly removable so its not in the way.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't use it anyway since I'd much rather go to the wall, but if there was another lockdown I'd definitely think about getting the fingerboard out of the cupboard if it could be mounted and removed without effort. 

climberchristy 20 Sep 2021
In reply to C Witter:

GCSE student therefore at least 14. Technically not an adult yet but hardly a "child". Old enough to be polite I'd say.

Best 

C

1) 17 years

2) Barn and room above garage

3) Moonboard in barn. Free weights (deadlift bar, dumbbells, bench, TRX, beastmaker 2000, beastmaker edges, wideboyz crack (I won it and it's actually brill)) above the garage. Theraband.

4) Cold weather in winter for the former, and overhead height for the latter. Makes some yoga and theraband warm up bits tricky! Sometimes I find it hard to get motivated training alone. 

Post edited at 14:06
 plyometrics 20 Sep 2021

1) 29 years

2) At home, in the outhouse and garden

3) Fingerboards / pull up bar / free weights / weight belt  

4) Can’t really think of anything obvious I’m afraid, other than not owning a massive double garage I can fit everything in.

Good luck with your GCSE.

Exile 20 Sep 2021

1. 35yrs

2&3. Home - (fingerboard, foot on campus board, TRX.) Kendal wall - (Boulder wall, LED board, circuit board, auto belay)

4. I could do with the climbing wall opening at 6.00am

dunc56 20 Sep 2021

what is a GCSE DT ?

1. 18yrs

2. A mixture of: at the crag, home board, home fingerboard, home rings, comercial climbing wall.

3. rock, fingerboard, 66* board, rings, weights, climbing wall.

4. My ceiling isn't really high enough for the rings which causes issues with tension when doing wide arm exercises.  My board has to be 66* to follow the angle of the roof which is too steep really (all the holds have to be quite large) 40* would be better.  

In reply to dunc56:

Design and technology.

You might have known it as woodwork and metalwork.

dunc56 20 Sep 2021
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

> Design and technology.

> You might have known it as woodwork and metalwork.

And the GCSE bit ? Joke - I had to really think what that was .

1. 32 years

2. Indoor bouldering wall. 

3. The wall - never really used any of the other stuff- campus board/circuit board etc

4. Can be too busy at times and it is sometimes closed when I want to go. 

Removed User 20 Sep 2021
In reply to dunc56:

its the new version of an O level, and im taking DT

WillD 20 Sep 2021

1) how long you have climbed for - 4 years with a 1 year covid related hiatus

2) where you train - one of 2 climbing centres near me, or some random gym if i'm travelling for work, gym,

3) the equipment you use to train - whatever the gym has. I had a beastmaker fingerboard but i never used it as it always felt like i was going to blow my fingers up

4) problems you find with the equipment you use - training is boring, fingerboarding hurts me, motivation, climbing low grades outside is more fun that climbing hard stuff inside

RobAJones 20 Sep 2021

1. 35 years, only really done any structured training during lockdown. 

2. Previously  regarded using climbing walls in the winter as training. Now training is done in the garage.

3. Beastmaker fingerboard with pulley system, pull up bar, home made TRX, free weights. Now have 40 degree wall + roof

4. Main problem is lack of height in the garage. 

NBR 20 Sep 2021

1) how long you have climbed for

27yrs

2) where you train

Garage, climbing wall (don't really consider wall training but a thing in its own right)

small plywood wall, hangboard (beastmaker 1000)

Ply wall too short, hangboard too boring. So I hardly ever bother hence being rubbish at climbing,

Toerag 21 Sep 2021

I like to emulate Ivor the Engine - peeshticoof, peeshticoof, peeshticoof! Much more realistic than 'choo-choo'.

1) how long you have climbed for,

33 years

2) where you train

Garage and sitting room.

Rings, Beastmaker 1 & 2K, weights upto 20Kg for weighted hangs then paint tins/anything I can clip, pull up bar previously, yoga mat for ab circuits, timer, harness, wood slat instead of finger boards, those ladders you can turn upside down and hang off, hockey balls for rolling out, Armaid, paid training program, those wood balls on string/rope, can I say YouTube? 

Armaid didn’t work, ladders take time to set up, have to be very careful with fingerboard to avoid injuries, not enough weight occasionally, find it difficult to motivate myself to warm up as space is tight/time, not enough height - essentially need to build a bouldering wall. All the strongest climbers I know have immediate access to a steep good quality board. 

Good luck with the study let us know your findings please. 

In reply to Powered_by_Devon_Cream:

Sorry just thought the key thing is maximising space and using it in a way that correlates as closely as possible to climbing outdoors. So maybe the main problem is innovation!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...