UKC

my First bouldering pad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex_Welburn 27 Mar 2023

As it's warming up, I have a few local spots to me and I'd like to get out most likely on my own.

So it's time to get myself a pad. 

I'm struggling to find much info on the Alpkit Mujo in terms of reviews, It is between that and the Ocun Dominator. Both I can find for a similar price. I'm tempted with the Ocun as it's a bit thicker 14.5 vs 11 and I can place it length ways from some traversing problems as well as sleep on it in the car. 

If any one has advice or alternative suggestions, It would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to Alex_Welburn:

Depends...

Both pads will do the job, the ocun pad is likely a bit nicer to take big drops on, as you say its thicker and has a different internal structure. But 95% of the time it won't really matter which pad you have underneath you.

If you expect to be bouldering on your own a lot then my personal preference would be the biggest surface area pad you can reasonably afford as you wont have spotters to keep you on the pad or shift the pad over on wandering routes etc. though I'm too much of a wuss to get on high problems on my own. 

That being said the Alpkit pad is lighter and currently on a really good sale so you may have the option of that plus a smaller satellite pad for similar money and weight as the ocun.

The dominator is a good pad. I’ve been more than happy using one as a main pad, the foam is very good and the whole thing seems to hold up well over years. I don’t own one but a few mates have them and I think it’s superior to my moon warrior and dmm highball in all honesty. Alpkit I’ve never climbed on but the general vibe I’ve always heard is that the foam goes pretty soft quite quickly and you end up with a soggy pad you can bottom out on - happy to be corrected on this though. 

DamonRoberts 27 Mar 2023

I prefer my Ocun Dominator to Alpkit Origin pad I've used before. Being able to make the Ocun long and narrow is also nice for some problems. 

ChrisBrooke 27 Mar 2023

Another vote for the Ocun if you're looking in that size and price range.

That said, if you can afford it and you think you'll be getting into bouldering a bit more, maybe just go for the biggest pad you can. Pads start looking very small once you're a few feet off the ground and generally speaking that bigger the better. Or start with the Ocun and before you know it you'll be dragging multiple pads to the crag to work on your highball projects anyway

+1 for the Ocun.  My alpkit pad hasn't lasted as long as my other pads.  If the Ocun is bigger or thicker then as long as it fits in your car I'd get that.

I'm surprised no-one has advised against sleeping on it yet.  Do it too regularly and I suspect the foam will suffer but I've not regularly slept on one since my student days so maybe the newer foams fair better.

OP Alex_Welburn 28 Mar 2023

Thanks All, I think I will go with the Ocun  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...