UKC

Which Pad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 obi-wan nick b 15 Jan 2023

Back when I first started bouldering there were no pads, in fact I think the boulders had only just been uncovered by the receding glaciers!  We just used beer mats to wipe our feet and had had several spotters . Eventually pads were invented and later still I succumbed and bought a Metolius Boss Hogg. Having been doing it a long time now I have unfortunately never been very good - I keep trying things that are too hard and falling off.  My conclusion is “I’m gonna need a bigger mat”.

I’m currently looking at the larger “Snaps”, “Flashed” and “Organics” but would consider others - any recommendations please - I’m planning a font trip..
subsidiary question what’s the difference between the snap wham and guts pads - they look v similar to my uneducated eye.

PS needs to fit a skoda superb

TIA

wbo2 15 Jan 2023
In reply to obi-wan nick b: Seen this ? https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/bouldering_mats/large_bouldering_m...

I ended up with a Moon Saturn , and yes it's a big thing to haul around, but I've never regretted buying it.  

If it goes in a Nissan Leaf it will go in your car, but what else needs to go in ?

Keith C 15 Jan 2023
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

Do you mean fits with the rear seats down? If so that's gonna limit the choice a bit. There's a thread on UKB where I think it comes up that an organic big pad doesn't fit in the boot seats down. Otherwise and if money's not a factor that's the best pad. Few threads on UK worth checking out.

Ciro 15 Jan 2023

I've got a snap grand wham, and I love it... I'm quite scared of big falls having had knee and back trouble over the years but this pad gives me a lot of confidence to go for it.

In reply to Keith C:Wow  it’s a whole different language over there and google translate doesn’t seem speak boulder….

afx22 15 Jan 2023

If it’ll fit in your car, get an Organic Big Pad.  They are really good to fall on, last ages are are fairly well designed.  The strap system isn’t perfect but I’d buy the same pad again.  In fact, I bought more Organics.

I’ve had a Snap Wrap, Metoluis thing, an Alpkit of some sort and good friends have / have had Moon Saturns and Ocun Paddy Dominators.  The Moon is the next best but the foam doesn’t hold up as well.  I’ve not tried the Flashed ones as they’re fairly new.

CantClimbTom 15 Jan 2023

For a split second as I started reading the original post I thought you were about to say you used beer mats as bouldering mats as my brain went faster than my eyes.

That could have been some "You have it soft today... back in my day... we used to... and we were glad of it too" type of comment

Post edited at 18:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...