UKC

Best forecast for Kalymnos?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Sagar 29 Mar 2023

Anyone got any experience of which (if any) weather forecasting services are most reliable for Kalymnos?

Heading out next week and the current projections I'm looking at are making me sad.

Post edited at 11:34
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Doesn't look too shoddy on Weather and Radar:

https://www.weatherandradar.co.uk/weather/kalymnos/17418575

Chris

Steve Woollard 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Paul Sagar:

I've always found Meteoblue pretty reliable

Iamgregp 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Steve Woollard:

Agreed - Meteo have always been spot on https://meteo.gr/cf.cfm?city_id=84 

I'm sure you'll get out plenty... 

OP Paul Sagar 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Thanks!

Apparently the tufa are not dripping, after a dry winter, so even if it rains a bit the caves should still be climbable.

ebdon 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Why pick one? Try the compare model function on Windy and pick the best 😁

Willkilbey 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Paul Sagar:

We are heading out next week and also a little panicked about the forecast! I'm hoping it isn't as bad as it looks!

OP Paul Sagar 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Willkilbey:

I don't think it is THAT bad. Just may need to get a bit creative. Also, if it's overcast that means crags that are impossible from mid morning in e.g. September come into play, like the Red Walls at  Palionisos or the awesome  Skalia

Iamgregp 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Paul Sagar:

You might have to swerve the odd route here and there but you'll be fine... Doug went out there in spring a couple of years ago and said it rained every day, but they still got out climbing every day too as everything dries so quick. 

AlanLittle 29 Mar 2023
In reply to Paul Sagar:

meteo.gr

OP Paul Sagar 30 Mar 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Hahaha I think we were there at the same time (indeed we may be thinking about the same Doug...in which case, we definitely were).

I'm out for 18 days (the only good thing about covid? unlimited "working from home" became normalised for me) so I reckon I'll be fine. My friends only coming out for the first week are a bit more nervous!

Iamgregp 30 Mar 2023
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Talbot?!  Pretty sure we are, there's only one Doug in the world surely?

Ah yes, I can see how your friends being only there for a week would make them concerned about the weather.  I always get like that before trips and it's always been fine.  Never had a complete wash out yet (touch wood!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...