UKC

Campervan overnight at NT Stickle Ghyll

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Collins 27 Jan 2024

Does anyone know if it's still ok to campervan overnight at the NT Stickle Ghyll Car park please?

Mark Eddy 27 Jan 2024
In reply to Mark Collins:

It's been fine during 2023 (or at least tolerated if not) and likely same going forward. The NT campsite just along the road will probs have plenty of space if it's this time of year you're thinking and their facilities are way better.

IIRC it's £10 for overnight at Stickle.

Lanty Slee pub is well worth a visit whilst in the area

In reply to Mark Eddy:

> Lanty Slee pub is well worth a visit whilst in the area

That looks nice from google pictures, is that on the road down to eleterwater coming down from grasmere red bank road?

The britannia in elterwater was alays I nice pub when I lived up that way 25 (!) years ago. Although both a few miles from the head of langdale

OP Mark Collins 27 Jan 2024
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thanks Mark.

Just checking out the options as I'm only after one night over a weekend in February, and it seems a bit steep booking the mandatory 2 nights in the campsite. That said, I'm well used to such things in the Lake District. From what I can gather, anything in Langdale outside of a campsite is at risk.

Also, thanks for the Lanty Slee pub tip. A new pub in Langdale and one I've never been to, woohoo!

TobyA 27 Jan 2024

I last used that car park a couple of summers ago. At least then, there were notices all over saying no overnight camping in car park, and those signs were being roundly ignored by a dozen or so vans and campers which clearly people were sleeping in, or were just waking up and were getting out of their vans. Presumably there was no enforcement of the rule, because how obviously the van owners were ignoring it. There were vans in seemingly every lay-by driving up to the car park too.

Tom Guitarist 27 Jan 2024

There was an official NT Stickle Ghyll campervan parking policy in place for a period. It was £10, with a designated area. You had to pay for parking during the day at the usual rate. They operated the same scheme at Aira Force car park too. As far as I was aware, the scheme had stopped early last year (maybe April time?) due to being told that they needed planning for a campsite if they were offering official overnight stays. 

Mark Eddy 27 Jan 2024
In reply to mountain.martin:

Brit is good too yes. Lanty Slee is at Stickle Barn, so next door to New Dungeon Ghyll. 

OP Mark Collins 29 Jan 2024
In reply to All:

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm reckoning it'll be raining when I go so I'll be able to get in a layby. That's my latest thought anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...