UKC

Climbing in Antalya (Turkey)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PilkingtonD 08 Jan 2024

Going to Geyikbayiri just outside of Antalya in Turkey for a week in March, and was looking for both some route suggestions and recommendations for rest day activities! (Good walks in the area, historical places, cultural experiences)

Do grades tend to be soft/hard compared to UK sport? (Maybe compared to somewhere like Portland) 

Any recommendations as to where to get food and other supplies in Antalya as well before we go to the campsite as we've heard the village is a bit of a trek away, 

Grade range anything up to 6c, and we won't have a car so ideally within an hour or so walk from the campsites!

Cheers!

Post edited at 18:43
In reply to PilkingtonD:

Supermarkets in Antalya on the way from the airport. There is an amazing market that happens every weekend a couple of miles down the road. They sell mostly fruit and veg but you can get nuts and dried fruit. Eating out is cheap and good. The shop in Geyak village sells milk/ eggs/ processed meat and toiletries etc but is small. I thought the grading was solid, bolts occasionally spacey depending on the crag. In an hour you can walk to every crag in geyakbayiri. The Lycian way starts from near the campsites and is a nice walk - though linear so you’d probably do an out and back. I thought the crags above the campsite were a good starting point. 
Mission to and Mars 6c and Turkish Standard 6b+ . At Poseidon on the upper tier I did King Crimson 6a and Ya Sabir 6a+ which were both great, there’s also Rigolos 6c which looks mega and gets good reports. 

racodemisa 09 Jan 2024
In reply to PilkingtonD:

You can normally pick up food from the supermarket on the way to the camping.Theres a lot of quality and variety at that grade in the area Poseidon to Barbarossa it does get sun almost the whole day though.If very hot I'd go to the far far west section of trebenna. there are a couple of quality 6bs there starline and Avec Vue Sur la mer (both a bit bit overlooked imo) both with quite a lot of character.The 6c and 6c+ on the pillar at the far  R  are very good.Trebenna is an impressive crag there are other good routes (5-6c) some very glassy now though. The best rts are in the mid 7s and harder here really..Across the board the grading feels quite solid in the 6a+ to 7a range.In the last guide it used the french grades on the Topo diagrams though this all seemed like guess work really.Theres a new guide now so  this  might have changed.In terms of food  don't miss the kebab shack below the road not far from the flying goat campground.Cheap and really good.

Post edited at 10:29
OP PilkingtonD 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Isabelle Booker:

Brilliant, that's super helpful. Thank you! We will definitely go check out those routes and that market!

In reply to racodemisa:

Ok thank you! That gives us a good idea of what is around. Thanks for the recommendation of the kebab shack too we'll definitely have to check that out too!

Bulls Crack 09 Jan 2024
In reply to PilkingtonD:

The greek ruins in the forest opposite the main crag are very atmospheric. Watch out for snakes!  The archaeology  museum in Antalya is good too. 

Post edited at 18:34

In reply to Bulls Crack:

Wow that looks amazing! We'll definitely check those out. Will have to take some snake crampons in that case...

Bulls Crack 10 Jan 2024
In reply to PilkingtonD:

I gave a large brown/black one a wide berth! Hope the fish restaurant is still there - don't let looks put you off!

In reply to PilkingtonD: enjoy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...