UKC

Climbing insurance in Spain for up to 180 days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mick Ward 05 Oct 2023

Hi All, 

Every year I struggle with insurance for winters in Spain. There used to be two particular conditions: climbing and being there for almost six months continuously. Now there's another one - being 70 (mental age still 15!) Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance. 

Mick 

dunc56 06 Oct 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

Nigel Farage will be along shortly to explain. 

mike123 06 Oct 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Hi All, 

(mental age still 15!) 

Any suggestions gratefully received.

> Mick 

Try acting 16 ?

Rick Graham 06 Oct 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Hi All, 

> Every year I struggle with insurance for winters in Spain. There used to be two particular conditions: climbing and being there for almost six months continuously. Now there's another one - being 70 (mental age still 15!) Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance. 

> Mick 

I know it might be a pita for numerous reasons incl carbon footprint  but have you priced splitting the trip into 2 sub 90 day sections. IE a quick trip home.

Need to double check small print but I know some overwinterers in Spain who do have done this trick. Maybe two seperate insurers.

jimtitt 06 Oct 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

Which insurance is the problem? Travel should be easy but health after the 3 months under EHIC means you'll almost certainly have to get private health insurance in Spain which should be easy enough. My German health insurance aĺlows unlimited stays in any country but you probably don't want to know what that costs!

In reply to Mick Ward:

Friends found it hard to get cover for being over 70, going to remote areas and for walking/trekking at around 3000m for a forthcoming 5 week trip. They said they have taken out insurance for their trip from Insure and Go. Don’t know details of the cover.

Insure and Go advertise up to a year’s trip insurance, rock climbing, over 70s from a quick google glance. You may wish to check them out and see if they can cover all your needs and are reputable, etc.

OP Mick Ward 07 Oct 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

Many thanks for replies. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm Irish and thereby hold an Irish passport. However it didn't seem germane to the enquiry. 

To Rick: I've thought of coming back but it does seem extravagant to do so merely for more relevant insurance, e.g. increased cost, lost working time and approximately twice the carbon footprint. 

To Jim: I've got a GHIC and a SIP card and am in the Spanish medical system. Am also in very good health. More a case of say getting hit by stonefall and being in hospital for quite some time. 

To Climbing Pieman: Thank you for the Insure and Go tip. For some reason, have not come across them, despite trying lots of recommendations from the British Insurers' Brokers Association. Will give them a go. 

Mick 

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 08 Oct 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Many thanks for replies. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm Irish and thereby hold an Irish passport. However it didn't seem germane to the enquiry. 

The luck of the Irish - or maybe it isn't luck?

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...