UKC

Clwyd limestone or nearby - easy top-roping for kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 VC Hopper 25 Jul 2023

I'm hoping someone could help with some advice - I'm looking for somewhere to take two children (aged 5 and 6) for some easy top-roping. Travelling from the Wirral and my mate's coming from Shrewsbury so obvious area is Clwyd, though I'd be open to other suggestions.

Trevor Quarry has some easy stuff but perhaps not easy enough - lowest grade is Yummy Brummy 3c Yummy Brummy (3c) but logbook entries suggest it is hard for the grade and it will be even harder for them on account of their small statures. I don't want to put them off climbing from the outset! Essentially looking for short mods/diffs or grade 2/ low grade 3 sport - preferably somewhere with a few different routes of this grade near each other. Can anyone recommend somewhere please?

Thanks

stubbed 25 Jul 2023
In reply to VC Hopper:

I don't think there's anything super easy on Clwyd limestone. I would take them for a bit of bouldering / scrambling at that age & save the faff. Helsby maybe?

chris_r 25 Jul 2023
In reply to VC Hopper:

Conwy Mountain

Walk in isn't too long, maybe 20mins with kids that age.  There are stakes at the top to help with rigging but they're a fair way back so you might want a separate rope for rigging.

Loads of kid friendly routes in a lovely setting. And then pop down hill into Conwy for ice cream at Parisella's followed by chips on the front.

Si Witcher 25 Jul 2023
In reply to chris_r:

On Wirral, you could look at Irby Quarry - ideal for kids top-roping in the Diff-Severe range

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/irby_quarry-1111/

There's also a little outcrop next to the Cenotaph above West Kirby (near the Grange Hill crag detailed in the Cheshire and Merseyside guide, p215, which is only about 6 metres high but offers 3 or 4 lines you can top rope around Severe to VS. 

The logbook entry for Grange Hill has a couple of photos of the separate wall next to the cenotaph (which is a few hundred metres away from the actual Grange Hill wall):

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/grange_hill-8849/

I took my daughter to both of these during Covid when she was 5-6ish and she enjoyed them for an hour or two.

Otherwise, yes Trevor Quarry is probably the friendliest Clwyd spot for top-roping but it doesn't go as easy as Diffs I don't think.

Ian Dunn 25 Jul 2023
In reply to VC Hopper:

I have taken beginner children to Trevor and there is plenty to do in the Quarry on the wall right of the 6c’s. It is slabby has stakes at the top and there are a lot of holds for small children. The main crag is harder though there are some possibilities if you search around but you need another adult to belay you up to set up top ropes.

steveriley 25 Jul 2023
In reply to VC Hopper:

The scouts sometimes setup top ropes on Frodsham hill - the actual Frodsham, near to the boulder problems recently added for ‘War Memorial’ crag. Don’t know the grades but plentiful tree belays and say around Diff upwards and 20-30 foot.

In reply to VC Hopper:

I haven’t been there for ages so it might be different now, but I remember world’s end having some easier climbs (diffs/ vdiffs) on the upper tier and the potential to easily set up top ropes off trees above. Nice place for a picnic too. Maybe somebody who has been more recently could advise whether it’s suitable for your requirements. 

OP VC Hopper 25 Jul 2023
In reply to VC Hopper:

Thanks all for your suggestions, much appreciated - a few to investigate here! I'd completely forgotten about the Wirral options, thanks Si - Irby Quarry is an ideal starting point. Keen to check out Grange Hill too. They'll be crimping at The Breck in no time.

Helsby/Frodsham and Conwy all also good shouts - enough for a few days out here, and we'll give Trevor Quarry a go after all.

Cheers

steveriley 25 Jul 2023
In reply to VC Hopper:

Castle Inn has a few bolted 3s and 4s on decent rock. Can't comment on reachyness but short walk in at least!  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...