UKC

Dartmoor Experts - anywhere suitable for a mobliity scooter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 22 Mar 2023

I'm in Plymouth over Easter for a family holiday.  I'me visiting one of my cousins who has had mobilty issues and uses a mobility scooter. 

I'd love to get us all out to some bit of rock and wonder if anyone in the Dartmoor illuminati can recommend a venue that would be suitable for a mobility scooter.  Hound Tor would be top but I don't think the approach from the Hound of the Basket Meals carpark is suitable, I'd love to get back to Bone Hill but memory is that that is not very good either.  Sheepstor?

I know it's a long shot but any recommendations welcome, if there is nothing good climbing wise then just suitable lovely bits of the moor that have accessible tracks?

Thanks folks : )

OP Bobling 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Haha, obvious typo in the thread title : )

spenser 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Bobling:

I seem to remember Haytor being very easy as approaches go?

Wingnut 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Not helpful in terms of climbing, but in terms of nice days out for the scooter pilot, maybe try looking at some of the disused bits of railway/tramway? The granite way (sort of Sourton-ish), might be a goer (disused railway that's now a cycle trail), likewise heading out towards Kings Tor etc from either Princetown (which also has cafes and public bogs) or Yellowmeade.

It's also quite nice to head out to the Row Tor parking on a wild, bleak day. How far you could take a scooter round the ring road depends on how robust the scooter is and how bold the pilot is (not all scooters are driven by old grannies, after all), and how many friends are available to help, but it could be either type 1 fun, type 2 fun, or just a good place for coffee and a natter while you sit and admire somewhere impressively bleak...

unicycleboy 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Combestone or saddle tor come to mind as being reasonably flat access and roadside both also on nice areas of moor. Nothing else springs to mind, especially as the ground will be quite wet at the moment.

Granite way is nice and well paved for the most part. I recall the track up from the parking at gutter tor being quite smooth but can’t quite remember if it was accessible or just felt smooth running.

Steve Woollard 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Bobling:

The road to Avon Dam is tarmac until the last bit and a really nice valley. Park at Shipply Bridge near South Brent

petegunn 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Bobling:

+1 for Coombestone.

Have you had a look on here for other ideas, they are part of the "miles without stiles"

https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/enjoy-dartmoor/outdoor-activities/accessible-da...

OP Bobling 23 Mar 2023
In reply to thread:

Thanks everyone - great stuff.

TMM 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Interesting challenge!

A couple of ideas.

Park at Four Winds and take the track to Little Mis Tor.

Park at Princetown or Yellomead and access the disused railway track around King Tor and Swell Tor.

Park at Haytor or Black Hill and access the granite tramway to Haytor and Holwell.

If you are going to Coombestone as suggested by others then have a look at accessing Bench Tor from Venford reservoir.

Park in Bovey Tracey or Lustleigh to access the Wray Vally trail which uses a disused railway track.

Tom Last 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Foggintor, along the track? 

Holdtickler 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Bobling:

I'm unfamiliar with the region but If you manage to make to any of the UKC crags, you could consider adding some details to the comments section of those crags for any others who might fancy following in your tracks one day.

It would be awesome if one day some accessibilty info was added to guidebooks. It could just be a similar (or improved!) route rating system to the 'miles without stiles' routes. It's always gutting to get stopped by something like an unexpected stile or rocky section after long scoot following the logistical challenge of getting the scooter there in the first place. Crowd sourcing the info on something like UKC would be a great place to start IMO.

Holdtickler 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Bobling:

mailed you btw

OP Bobling 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Holdtickler & thread:

Well that was a nice job for a Sunday morning, marking up a map with possible spots (and insta-discarding some - sorry anything too N or NE is out on account of driving time from Plymouth). 

I cam pleased to report that we're going to need a bigger holiday : )

Thanks so much for the thoughts and info, great to have your help!

Also last call for any more contributions?

Rik 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Not climbing, but lovey open moor and views over the south Hams to the sea:

Park near Bittaford (SX 658 572) and follow Puffing Billy track West then North.

Rik

OP Bobling 10 Apr 2023
In reply to Rik:

A quick report back.  We went for  Combestone Tor then Haytor.  Combestone was great - good scramblin for the kids and I got to nip up some very easy little things, but nice to touch rock again and even managed a pick up game of rounders.  Haytor was magic, both my cousins kids made it to the top (or should that be conquered : )) which was lovely.  Sadly the miles without stiles path to the quarry didn't happen as you needed a far more adventure buggy than we had but it was still a great day, so thanks again everyone for your advice and for helping me to sort a day on the moor for my family! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...