UKC

‘Holiday’ bouldering destinations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris m fisher 04 Aug 2023

Hi,

Reaching out to the UKC knowledgeable… looking for a holiday destination that fits both the ‘holiday’ bill for non climbers i.e. a beautiful area, culture, restaurants, perhaps a beach or two, stable weather.

And also has quality, low faff (i.e. not huge walk ins or long drives to access) bouldering. Somewhere that could be suitable around October time.

Any recommendations outside of Font & Albarracin?

Cheers

In reply to chris m fisher:

Was just watching videos of bouldering in Kerlouan -- like French Cornwall but with the granite in boulder form. Boulders are beach-side. Doesn't fit the October part of the bill, but for summer it looks amazing.

mrjonathanr 04 Aug 2023

October should be nice in La Pedriza. Beautiful countryside, Madrid and El Escorial nearby. Ryanair fly to Madrid.

Stoney Boy 04 Aug 2023

Wirksworth?

tjekel 05 Aug 2023

Virgin Gorda

Elsier 05 Aug 2023

Sintra near Lisbon?

SteveJC94 05 Aug 2023

Sicily could fit the bill. There's some good bouldering on the west side of the island and the sea should be warm enough for swimming and DWS through to November. 

racodemisa 05 Aug 2023
In reply to chris m fishe

Santa Gadea in cantabria looks excellent.Could tick those boxes ?

Thanks all, some great suggestions there that I’d certainly not have thought about, cheers! 

DamonRoberts 06 Aug 2023

Targasonne. Awesome climbing, almost all roadside and you can spend a day or two in Barcelona on the beach at either end if you fancy. 

BoulderBus 31 Aug 2023
In reply to racodemisa:

> In reply to chris m fishe

> Santa Gadea in cantabria looks excellent.Could tick those boxes ?

I've done that one, it's a bit of a trek from the beach to Santa Gadea though...we did have the place to ourselves though....might be a bit stormy in October mind

Pglossop 04 Sep 2023
In reply to Elsier:

Just spent a few days around Sintra. Lots of bouldering with 3 to 7 minutes walk in, and plenty of cultural activity, excellent place.

Might be a bit damp in October though.

Elsier 04 Sep 2023
In reply to Pglossop:

It was perfect conditions when I went in January! I imagine spring and Autumn are usually ideal. Probably too hot in the Summer. 

Portugal is more of a maritime than a mediterranean climate though which means more wet days all year round. So it is a bit more risky choice than some places for holiday for sure. 

BoulderBus 08 Sep 2023

We did another trip with the kids, to Bafa Golu, in Turkey, that was pretty good, flew to Izmir, stayed by lake bafa, did a bit of walking, borrowed a boat to go to the ruins on the island in the lake, a bit of bouldering (we borrowed a pad from the place we were staying), and it's about 20 min drive to the beach at Didim....Ephesus was also a good day out...and probably still pretty warm in October....

Michael Porter 08 Sep 2023

Dorset fits all of your criteria for a uk option. Swanage, lulworth and Portland. 

sxrxg 08 Sep 2023

Gran Canaria looks to have some decent bouldering and is a typical 'holiday' spot, weather should be perfect in October. 

Fuerteventura also has bouldering and again should have great weather. 

Tinos one of the Greek islands could also be fun even if the rock sounds a bit rough. 

Sardinia looks to have some decent bouldering at various locations around the island - free guide avialable here https://issuu.com/lasportiva/docs/eng_sardiniabloc_guida?utm_medium=referra... 

Thanks all for the brilliant suggestions! Way more than I was expecting. We decided on Sintra, Portugal, looks to fit the bill perfectly. Will need several more holidays to fit in all these suggestions!

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...