UKC

Lundy baggage rules?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RM199 08 Aug 2023

Hi all

just wondering what the deal is now with climbing gear on the Lundy boat. The old UKC article from 2016 says put it in you hand luggage but the new instructions seem to say it has to go in the hold. Not much use for maximizing climbing time.

anyone been recently?

ljknowles 08 Aug 2023
In reply to RM199:

When I went last year climbing gear did go in the hold, but they separated it from the rest of the luggae and got it off first so you could still maximise climbing time. Someone who has been more recently may know more!

jon59 08 Aug 2023
In reply to RM199:

Ive been for the last two years and weather permitting I'm sailing to the island next Tuesday. Your official baggage allowance is 20kg per person, no one bag must exceed 20kg. Im taking a duffle bag with my kit which will go in the hold, this will be deposited at either the campsite or what ever accommodation you have booked by the Lundy staff. They will ask specifically for climbing bags with ropes inside and these will be loaded last and unpacked first so you can head straight out climbing. Technically your allowance is 20kg however this is not strictly enforced, this only becomes a problem if you have to fly either way. If you're on island with over 20kg and have to fly, you can negotiate leaving a bag which will be brought back on the next sailing, I have done this in the past. 20kg is not a lot of weight if you have twin ropes, a full rack and a 100m abseil rope. I will be taking my abseil rope onto the boat as hand luggage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...