UKC

Malham Cove with kids - suggestions, please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 15 Aug 2023

Heading up to Yorkshire next week and (depending on the weather) thought we might have a trip up to Malham, as it's quite impressive anyway and we might get a bit of climbing in.

Where's the best area to look at a bit of top-roping with kids, please - it's been about 25 years since I was last there and all I remember about that was leading some HVS-ish stuff up on the right hand side.

Thanks,

Tyler 15 Aug 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

How old are the kids and how hard do they climb?

OP LastBoyScout 16 Aug 2023
In reply to Tyler:

7 to 14 - they're capable of around S-HS.

GravitySucks 16 Aug 2023

Brimham

Lankyman 16 Aug 2023

The obvious place is the far left side of the Left Wing where there are some short, easy grade routes that would probably be OK. You can get onto the limestone pavement on top of the Cove and it's well worth going up the Watlowes dry valley for a classic limestone geology lesson. Watch them like a hawk on the top though!

OP LastBoyScout 16 Aug 2023
In reply to GravitySucks:

> Brimham

Except that I specifically asked about Malham and we've been to Brimham the last 2 years.

Si Witcher 16 Aug 2023

in that case, the short answer is that there's nothing that suitable for kids in that grade range at Malham that isn't loose at the belay or scrappy and vegetated. There are a couple of Severes on the Left Wing here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/malham_cove-610/

The easiest quality route on the Right Wing is Clubfoot at polished VS.

I know you're keen for Malham but have you considered somewhere like Giggleswick or Twistleton Scar?

Loads of good grades etc

DaveHK 16 Aug 2023
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> I know you're keen for Malham but have you considered somewhere like Giggleswick or Twistleton Scar?

> Loads of good grades etc

Aye, much better crags in the area for that sort of stuff.

Lankyman 16 Aug 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> Aye, much better crags in the area for that sort of stuff.

Agreed, but the OP did say he'd like to visit the Cove for the sheer spectacle of it as much as any climbing. With this in mind I'd definitely suggest a visit to nearby Gordale Scar with a scramble up the waterfall. It's possibly more of a spectacle than the Cove and probably a lot less busy. On the same beck Janet's Foss is also very good and the children may even spot some fairies (adults are far too old, jaded and cynical for this).

tmawer 16 Aug 2023

There are some lower grade sport routes at the right end of the beck wall that you could probably get a top rope on. They will be harder than severe, but what a place to be and to experience mucking about on a rope. 

Ian Dunn 16 Aug 2023

There are a couple of sport routes that you can easily put a top top on, on Beck Wall. All described on the UKC logbooks: Grateful Thread and Cloudbusting above the entrance to the cave diving being my recommendations. Be careful not to drop anything down the cave. The top ropes can be fitted from the Catwalk. 

StuDoig 16 Aug 2023

If you're keen on Malham, and I agree it's a pretty special / spectacular place, then rather than climbing in those grades I'd suggest walking up through gordale scar and scrambling up by the wee waterfall then walking over to the pavement above the cove then dropping down.  Lovely walk through fantastic terrain and I thought the scramble out of the back Gordale was good fun.  

Cheers,

Stu

OP LastBoyScout 17 Aug 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks for the suggestion. May have to leave Mother-in-Law at the bottom, though - not sure she'll be up for a scramble up a waterfall.

Lankyman 17 Aug 2023

> Thanks for the suggestion. May have to leave Mother-in-Law at the bottom, though - not sure she'll be up for a scramble up a waterfall.

It's pretty easy - big bucket holds all the way. It's a few years since I last went but it's pretty much up the centre between branches of the beck (assuming normal flow!). A short rope isn't necessary but might give confidence. Even without doing the scramble it's a fantastic place as you turn the corner and see the gorge properly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...