UKC

Mountain hut/venue in UK to rent with wifi + meeting space

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 67hours 15 Jun 2023

I work for a fully remote company now, but every month its someone's turn to organise the monthly all-company get together.

People often pick something related to themselves (last person was ex-RAF so we hired a room in the RAF Club in London).
It's nearly my turn - I was trying to think of a mountaineering related venue?

Anyone got any suggestions for a hut / bunkhouse / venue that:

• Can be hired for a full day
  • Fits about 17 people in one room for an all day meeting (big table helpful but optional)
  • Has good wifi
  • Accessible without more than 500m hike from car
  • Is not too remote (no further north than Manchester, and N Wales probably too far out)

Cost is probably not too big a concern (based on previous venues).

Ideas I had so far were Don Whillans Hut (not been, probably no wifi but maybe 4G is good, not sure about size) and Alpine Club in London.

Thanks for any suggestions!

George

ExiledScot 15 Jun 2023
In reply to 67hours:

Out of season you can hire whole youth hostels. 

Brown 15 Jun 2023
In reply to 67hours:

Consider if you can get hold of a 4g/5g server to open up more options.

I've got a 5g server in my house that mostly delivers great internet.

Howard J 16 Jun 2023
In reply to 67hours:

The sitting room in the Don Whillans hut is tiny.

You could try Carlswark Cottage in Stony Middleton. 

https://derbyshirepennineclub.co.uk/hut/ 

Jim Lancs 16 Jun 2023
In reply to 67hours:

If London is an option, the Royal Geographical Society (Kensington Gore - opposite the south side of Hyde Park) hires out rooms. Strong links with polar expedition and climbing trips to the greater ranges.

rj_townsend 16 Jun 2023
In reply to 67hours:

Not mountaineering as such, but the indoor real snow ski centres are often well set up for this type of meeting. Good locations too - Manchester, Castleford, Tamworth, Hemel Hempstead...

rj_townsend 16 Jun 2023
In reply to rj_townsend:

> Not mountaineering as such, but the indoor real snow ski centres are often well set up for this type of meeting. Good locations too - Manchester, Castleford, Tamworth, Hemel Hempstead...

Also, consider rooms at climbing walls - I'd imagine most have facilities available, and good opportunity for taster session for non-outdoorsy colleagues.

OP 67hours 16 Jun 2023
In reply to 67hours:

Thanks everyone!

RGS is a very good suggestion, as is just using a 4/5G dongle or even a youth hostel (if the location worked).

Hadn't really considered the taster-session concept but that too could work.

Appreciate the beta on Don Whillans hut capacity. I'll take a look at the Carlswark Cottage now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...