UKC

Namibia in November?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Does anyone have any experience oF climbing in Namibia in November?

Would it be too hot or manageable if you chase the shade?

Also does anyone have suggestions for similar places to climb in November?

That aren’t:

US

Greece

Wadi Rum

Morocco

Thanks

Tom 

Ramon Marin 02 Apr 2024
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Australia, Tassy, South Africa...

iainJ 02 Apr 2024

Tey the Eastern Hajar mountains in Oman, there's a lifetime of ro k there from sport amd bouldering to 1000m long adventure trad.

Robert Durran 02 Apr 2024

Having been twice in July/Aug and found shade temperatures at the Spitzkoppe (up to 30C or so) manageable in the dry air but desperately hot in the sun, I think that the significantly higher temperatures in November might be pretty problematical, though would depend on your tolerance. I wouldn't go then.

Have you considered Oman? Fabulous country and lots of climbing as adventurous as you want to make it. I've only been around Christmas and it was nice in the shade then, so should be manageable in November (?).

john arran 02 Apr 2024

We once went out to St. Catherine's monastery in Sinai, Egypt and quested up several decent sized faces that almost certainly hadn't been climbed at all before - maybe 5-10 pitches or so each. I have no idea how much has been done in the area since but I doubt it's a whole lot.

http://www.thefreeclimber.com/articles/tfcHoleyMoses.htm

In reply to Robert Durran:

Thanks for your destination guide btw - very cool.

i don’t know much about Oman - i remember reading something in an old Patagonia catalogue about a alpiney/big wall thing. French route?

any idea where to find out more?

Robert Durran 02 Apr 2024

There is a climbing guudebook: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Climbing-in-Oman/dp/3956110196/ref=asc_df_39561101... A few years old now and fairly basic, but it will provide more than enough to keep anyone busy. I am sure you would find lots more stuff online. The fb group "Climbing in Oman" is a good place for particular queries. 

The French Pillar is the classic on the vast south face of Jebel Misht, Oman's main climbing attraction. It was too hot for us in December and we bailed early but I think it now gets climbed reasonably regularly. We thought the climbing was generally fairly serious, demanding general competence; certainly not the relative playground feel of, say, the Anti-Atlas. Though I think more cragging type stuff is getting developed and plenty of sport climbing even.

Probably the most memorable thing about Oman is just how incredibly hospitable people are. Sensible roadside camping was absolutely fine five years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...