UKC

North Wales 'in' on Monday?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulJepson 23 Jul 2023

Looks like it will take quite a soaking today and this evening. With a late start, would cragging in the pass be dry on Monday or am I better off aiming for the slate? Ta!

Tyler 23 Jul 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

There was an awful lot of water running down the Pass yesterday and there’s forecast for a lot of rain tonight so anything that ever seeps will be seeping tomorrow. Unfortunately the sunny aspects will be sheltered from a drying wind. 

OP PaulJepson 23 Jul 2023
In reply to Tyler:

Hopefully some of the easier routes go in the wet then! Probably only climbing vs and below and won't venture to the higher crags like Cyrn Las. Although maybe the higher crags will be more exposed to any drying breeze? 

Tyler 23 Jul 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

If you don’t have particular targets in mind might be worth using a mediocre day to try some new areas? Moelwynion has nice grippy rock, nice scenery and lots of crags can be visited in a day (if you’ve not done much there)

OP PaulJepson 23 Jul 2023
In reply to Tyler:

Might be worth a look but dont think I have a recent guidebook for the area (have the old mid wales one. Need to get the latest guide really!). Having never climbed there, is there any particular crags youd recommend if the pass is gopping? 

In reply to PaulJepson:

Could try  Carreg y Foel Gron. It's good in the grades you want and at least some of it dries fast. And even if it is banjaxed you've not walked far to find out.

Edit to add: if you don't have the new, excellent guidebook, https://midwalesclimbing.com/2019/01/22/carreg-y-foel-gron-sports-routes/ should see you through.

Post edited at 16:46
In reply to PaulJepson:

We did Will o' the Wisp (HVD) in the rain once and it was fine. It's very positive so rain didn't really matter that much. Might even be closer depending on where you're driving from.

GrahamD 23 Jul 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

There is a lot more to N.Wales than Llanberis pass ! Are you primarily looking at the pass ?

OP PaulJepson 27 Jul 2023
In reply to GrahamD:

It was plenty dry enough on Monday and didnt see anyone else on any of the pass crags all day! El claggo on Tuesday though so joined everyone else on Anglesey. 

Offwidth 28 Jul 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

Molwyns are superb in my view. They look intimidatingly steep on a first visit but have lots of unexpected holds and are quick drying and are gripper than most crags if damp in places (I don't encourage climbing on wet rock). Just hit the classics on a first visit.

JRZ 30 Jul 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I climbed in South Wales this past Monday and it was incredible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...