UKC

Northern Norway scrambling/easy climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 18 Mar 2023

We're looking at doing a bike tour in the north of Norway this summer, haven't planned a route yet but likely to include Lofoten. I'd like to break the riding up with a bit of scrambling/easy climbing. I'll take my rock shoes and chalkbag but as I'll be climbing alone I'd probably be looking at nothing harder than vdiff.

Any route recommendations or advice?

Thanks

wbo2 18 Mar 2023
In reply to DaveHK:  I've always fancied this https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/hamaroyskaften-16827/#photos but never got round to it.  

Northern Norway is a big place, so start with your cycling route and have a look on google earth

wbo2 18 Mar 2023
In reply to DaveHK:  Are you going from Tromso? Are you basically going south or north?  Kvaløya and Senja recommendable , much quieter than Lofoten.  I'd stick to the coast myself - we were there last July and the midges inland were brutal, we only went into hike Hamparukken which is recommendable but the section at the bottom in the trees was grim for bugs.

OP DaveHK 18 Mar 2023
In reply to wbo2:

>   Are you going from Tromso? 

Probably flying in to Tromso. Basically my patience for cycle touring is a bit limited. I like it but I like to break it up with spending a few days in some spots and doing some running/scrambling etc. So I'm looking for recommendations for a few spots to do that and then I'll work the riding out from there.

nakedave 18 Mar 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Ersfjord traverse on kvaloya 

TobyA 18 Mar 2023
In reply to wbo2:

I've done it and thought about it, but although only short the little bits of climbing are harder than VDiff and we definitely abseiled off - I don't think Dave will have a rope by sounds of it.

Dave, the normal route up the Hamperokken is one I've done that would fit your needs. From memory a nice hike up to a long easy but very fine ridge, and a little scramble onto the summit. We took a rope for that last bit but didn't need it. 

nakedave 18 Mar 2023
In reply to nakedave:

The section skamtind to storstolpan makes a convenient loop, and doesn't require a rope. 

Also the loop of Soria-moria - Storstiennestinden, is good and easier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...