UKC

Oman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 04 Dec 2023

Hi

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 4x4 rental company, pick up Muscat Airport. I'm struggling to find one of the normal companies or a price comparison site that has a 4x4 only option. Thanks 

Inhambane 05 Dec 2023
In reply to David Coley:

i don't, but from my experience of living in the region the best bet for better prices is to get into the the capital and find the street with all the local rental companies.  With these companies you have to speak face to face or over the phone, you won't get replies to emails. Prices could be in the range of 40 to 100 gpb per day depending on season. Good luck and I hope someone more helpful can reply. 

tjekel 09 Dec 2023
In reply to David Coley:

I suggest you check if you really need a 4x4. When we were in Oman some 13 years back, you could reach close to all climbing easily with what they call a saloon car - and we travelled the country up and down. Roads surely improved from then.

Robert Durran 09 Dec 2023
In reply to tjekel:

> I suggest you check if you really need a 4x4. When we were in Oman some 13 years back, you could reach close to all climbing easily with what they call a saloon car - and we travelled the country up and down. Roads surely improved from then.

I was last in Oman five years ago. We had a beefy 4x4. I suppose we could have done without it, but it certainly opened up a lot more options and allowed finding nice places to camp that might have otherwise been inaccessible. If I were going again I would certainly like one. With four people you can get all your kit, water and food for some time in a Hilux or equivalent and the shared cost is reasonable.

Robert Durran 09 Dec 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Should have mentioned we just used one of the internationally reputable companies at the airport (obviously convenient and safe bet - can't remember which one now).

stickyfeet 09 Dec 2023
In reply to David Coley:

For a work trip we had 2 Toyota Landcruisers from Al Sharouq cars earlier this year. I wasnt involved in choosing them- was organised by some locals for us i think. Met the owner and he was great - came to meet us and drive us back to the airport himself at the end of the trip. This website matches the landline phone number that was on the back of the cars so i assume its the right one. Good luck. https://www.alsharouqcar.rent/contact-us

OP David Coley 10 Dec 2023

Thanks everyone 

LucaC 10 Dec 2023
In reply to David Coley:

We had a Landcruiser from Hertz near the airport. Work paid for it so no idea how expensive it was. Fun to drive, but as someone else mentioned, the roads are mostly quite good and we didn't really need it (but certainly made the most of having it).

In reply to LucaC:

Another option is to rent a normal car and then a 4WD for just when you need it (for example in the mountains) from one of the inland towns such as Nizwa or Izki

maxd 15 Dec 2023
In reply to David Coley:

we used https://nabrentacar.com/ last yr for a 4x4. v reliable. cheapest i could find, definitely needed for the sandy wadi floors. they hardly looked at it after though i did get a speeding fine sometime after getting back to the UK!

Max

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...