UKC

Pen hir guide book or topo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 30 Aug 2023

Bit of a long shot, but does any have any information on Pen Hir that I could borrow or purchase?

Mark Leach 31 Aug 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The Tourist Information Centre in Plougestel-Daoulas, on the south east of Brest (before you cross the bridge into Brest) sells the guide or did sell them a few years ago.

Post edited at 13:47
OP Rog Wilko 31 Aug 2023
In reply to Mark Leach:

Thanks Mark. Usefu info. I admit I was just wondering if I might be able to avoid buying a guide fo 30 quid just so I could do about 2 routes. Do you happen to know if the route names are painted on the rock?

Mark Leach 31 Aug 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Some names are painted at the bottom of the routes. If you want fairly easy routes then head to the monument by the car park. Then walk down a path on the left hand side of the car park, towards the headland and there are plenty of routes. Further, there is another bay near the monument you will need to walk down towards the sea. There are a number of easier routes in that area. Basically, just wander around near the monument / car park and you will find the sectors.

OP Rog Wilko 31 Aug 2023
In reply to Mark Leach:

Great, that’s just what I need. Thanks.

Mick Ward 01 Sep 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It's a pleasant spot, Rog. Agree, not worth parting with 30 quid for a couple of routes and a guidebook you may not use again. 

We went there about 30 years ago. I think there was a mixture of pegs etc, back then but gather it's been properly bolted since (hopefully with marine grade stainless steel).

Squawk wrote an article about a nearby crag called Le Cube - an 80(?) foot boulder in a field. After several abortive attempts to find it, we gave up when some locals told us they couldn't find it either!

Mick 

OP Rog Wilko 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

I’ve spent a lot of money buying guidebooks, some of which are so far unused. There comes a point, though, when you may only get two routes at £15 each……
ukc can be very useful in this context and when relating to bolted crags in France et al can be even more useful if those setting up crag details (have done quite a lot of that myself, too) were to give helpful approch notes and to note whether or not route names are displayed.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I have found The Crag website can be useful for out of the way places, usually a decent map and route list as a minimum, often some useful topos too. Just checked Brittany, looks like quite a bit of info there,

Chris

OP Rog Wilko 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Thanks for the tip, Chris. By the look of temperature forecast for further south we may be pottering around Brittany for a bit.

OP Rog Wilko 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Sadly, our trip never got further than my sister’s place in Frome (en route to Plymouth) where Debbie managed to fall off a chair and fractured her femur. She’s now recovering from surgery in hospital. At least it happened where we can have support and accommodation.

She was lying on the floor for 10 hours waiting for the ambulance then another 3 hours in an ambulance queue at the hospital. Got the x-ray finally at 3 am about 17 hours after the fall. It’s a simply appalling situation where you simultaneously have people waiting for ambulances for hours and hours while the vehicles and crews are standing around with nothing to do waiting to hand over their patients to A&E staff. I suppose the only positive result is each case is another two or three people who will never forgive the ******* Tories.

Mick Ward 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Am so sorry, Rog. A terrible situation which should never happen. 

(Agree with you about the Tories. Our country feels wrecked.)

Mick 

OP Rog Wilko 12 Sep 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thank you. The worst is over now. She fell on Saturday and the plate was installed Monday. As I’ve heard others say, once you get over the initial hurdles the NHS is still brilliant. Fortunately I (and shortly we) can stay with Dinah as long as we need to before we’re ready to make the 5-6 hour drive home in the van. Not relishing that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...