UKC

Pointe Percee via normal walking route (Col des Annes)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DS83 22 Apr 2023

Hi all 

I'm interested to know more about the normal walking route up Pointe Percee (from Col des Annes/Aravis side) - west flank (voie normale).  Is there much exposure?  Is much scrambling involved and what sort of gear would you take (if any)? Is the rock good?  Given the low levels of snow this year is it likely to be clear of snow by late May/early June (obviously I would check when we got there but just interested to know if it's even worth considering as an option)? 

Thanks all. 

Pointe Percée

In reply to DS83:

There's not too much in the way of exposure, guess it depends on your comfort level. The short section from the top of the face to the summit is along a ridge with a couple of more exposed sections. Nothing crazy.

Most of the route is walking with the odd easy scrambling section. There's a bit of loose scree and rock to deal with in places. Not very exposed. It's well marked. I personally wouldn't take any gear, I don't think you'd need it unless very nervous or inexperienced.

There's actually been quite a bit more snow above 2000m the last weeks. In any case, there are normally quite long-lived snow patches on this route that could require crampons, microspikes at least. Especially if early in the day. The hut (Gramusset - newly renovated incidentally) normally posts on the state of the snow on the route. But I'd say late May/Early June you'd be pretty much guaranteed to encounter some.

The other option is the Cheminees des Sallanches, which is S Facing and quite a bit harder scrambling, especially in descent. For that, you might want a short rope for abseiling and to protect a couple of steps perhaps. Again, depends on your comfort level. Would likely be snow free though.

Post edited at 10:09
In reply to DS83:

I recall abbing from a large green ring at one point on the normal descent from the summit after climbing the Arete-du-Doigt.

DC

OP DS83 22 Apr 2023
In reply to fibonacci moose:

Thanks - really appreciate the detailed response.  Really helpful.  

OP DS83 22 Apr 2023
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Thanks Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...