UKC

Scotland - Isle of Arran

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NyalSadiq 12 Apr 2023

Hi all,

Is there any easy climbing on Arran that yous would recommend? 

Hoping to re-introduce a friend to trad and am not looking for anything that will be too emotional. Diff-VDiff with good protection would be ideal.

Will buy a guidebook just wanted to know if there’s anything decent first.

Cheers,
Nyal

Mike-W-99 12 Apr 2023
In reply to NyalSadiq:

Sou'wester Slabs (VD) is a great route and lovely setting.

alan moore 12 Apr 2023
In reply to NyalSadiq:

What he said. But its a 6 mile walk in and a thousand feet of climbing and/or scrambling to the summit of the best peak on the island. So fairly emotional.

OP NyalSadiq 12 Apr 2023
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Looks great, cheers!

OP NyalSadiq 12 Apr 2023
In reply to alan moore:

Cheers. Going on a hill day up there soon so I’ll scope it out before dragging my mate up. 

In reply to NyalSadiq:

Rain, midges, ticks, miles of approach & return walks..... potential for lots of emotions. But lasting impressions will be made

stubbed 13 Apr 2023
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

I think I was there in May and we had hail to add to the rain. And it was so windy I struggled to get a tent up. Enjoy

65 13 Apr 2023
In reply to NyalSadiq:

Arran is beautiful as is the walk up Glen Sannox. You can add adders to the list of wildlife, though I've never seen one. A bit of luck with the weather isn't too much to hope for, I've had more sunny days than wet days there. 

PaulJepson 13 Apr 2023
In reply to Mike-W-99:

There is also Caliban's Creep (VD) nearby

CurlyStevo 13 Apr 2023
In reply to NyalSadiq:

If you are not pretty good at chimneys or slabs Sou'westerSlabs will feel more like Severe. Its quite long too. It is really good though. Those tripple chimneys always felt a bit unfair at Vdiff to me, they were memorable on the VS South Ridge Direct as no push over.

Post edited at 23:31
 Dave Cundy 14 Apr 2023
In reply to NyalSadiq:

I did South Ridge Direct years ago - I led every pitch, which slowed things down a bit.  I recall the walk-in, climb and walk-out took about 12 hrs.  So, a long day out.

People in our club used to hire mountain bikes to speed up the walk-in/out.  Just dump the bikes (locked up) once you've gone as far as you can.

I'm sure there have been previous threads on the subject.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...