UKC

Sheffield logistics - snooker x climbing

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 fammer 11 Apr 2024

I've got tickets for the snooker next weekend and planning on getting some climbing in as well. Current plan is to drive up Friday evening and stay at a campsite in the peak district somewhere, climb Saturday, and to the crucible for 7pm to watch the snooker.

Any recommendations from locals about somewhere out of town it would be possible to park and get public transport into the centre? Would any particular campsites facilitate this better than others? Bear in mind van is 2.4m tall so height restricted car parks are a no go. Also need to avoid the clean air zone. The snooker will finish late but happy to get a taxi back to the van if required.

Post edited at 11:58
 deacondeacon 11 Apr 2024
In reply to fammer:

North Lees Campsite, climb at Stanage, walk down to Hathersage, get train to Sheffield, Crucible is near train station. Taxi back. 

Fredt 11 Apr 2024
In reply to fammer:

Wyming Brook Farm Campsite, 1 hour walk to Stanage, or if you drive the van and park at the end of the road, it's 30 minutes. 
20 minute walk to catch the 51 bus to town. Uber back.

ChrisJD 11 Apr 2024
In reply to fammer:

Heatherhill Farm Campsite, very short walk from Bamford Station

Jenny C 11 Apr 2024
In reply to fammer:

I'd be tempted to park in the city centre, evening parking is only a couple of quid and even with the £10 congestion charge it's probably going to cost less than your taxi fare. 

There is a council carpark on Fitzwilliam Street, it's barely inside the congestion zone but really easy to get to from Ecclesall Road and avoids most of the anti-car measures that make the city centre a no-go zone for drivers. 

Otherwise, train from Hathersage is probably the best option as other than roadside I can't think of any parking on that side of the city.

mark20 12 Apr 2024
In reply to fammer:

Are you staying in the van in Sheffield Sat night or driving back out to Peak?

I'd look at parking somewhere just off Abbeydale Road, regular busses into town, and back until quite late. The roads become Permit Only as you get towards the ring road, somewhere like Broadfield Rd Industrial estate is a good option and has the advantage of not pissing of residents of the terraced roads 

Fredt 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Fredt:

> Wyming Brook Farm Campsite, 1 hour walk to Stanage, or if you drive the van and park at the end of the road, it's 30 minutes. 

> 20 minute walk to catch the 51 bus to town. Uber back.

>  

And excellent food and drink at the Sportsman.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...