UKC

Slovenia Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Heading out to Slovenia for a week next year.  I'll be over on the west near Tomlin, anyone point me in the right direction for guidebook / topos which cover that area.

I suspect the guide shown on UKC database may now have been superseded.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers Glenn 

McHeath 19 Dec 2023
In reply to Glenn Sutcliffe:

„Slovenia“ in the forum search gives 6 results, maybe you’ll find what you want in there.

FranC 19 Dec 2023

I went there ?10 years ago and used the Vodniki/Sidarta Slovenia guide. In Slovenian, Italian and English. Just checked - Tolmin is in it (my geography is appalling but assuming that is same as Tomlin?)

This is the guide. It's mulitlingual:  https://sidarta.si/en/product/slovenia-climbing-guide-en/

Generally a good guide, but note - the "maps" showing how the get to crags are not scale maps - you need to go by the times as sometimes distances are compressed! (or find a pin on GPS). I sometimes think the directions are written as a reminder assuming you've been one

Depending on when you're going...

If it's spring/summer, then Senica is the best local crag, with a good range from 5+ to 7c.

Drnulk is good on a hot day. Nadiza is ok. 

Lutne Skale has a lot of routes, all facing different angles. Not good if it's too warm and humid, but you can usually find a cooler face. Some great looking harder lines that I've not tried yet.

Tolmin is a lovely place, but it's not really the climbing hotspot of Slovenia. There's a range of decent, but not world class, crags within 30-45 mins. The 1.5hrs+ there's a whole heap more.

Down south, the main crags of Osp and Misja Pec - not great in summer, but two of the better Slovenia crags. Further east you have Bohinj.

Grades are generally tough in the 5s, 6s and low 7s (1.5-2 letter grades harder than most other places). I guess they even out at some point above 7b...

I heard there's some good multi-pitch up by Mangart - not been yet.

Swimming, cycling, river canoeing/kayaking etc. are all good too. The paragliding is apparently world class! 

Oh...forgot to say - Vipava and Vipavska Bela are meant to be good, not been. About an hour away.

Post edited at 20:27

Thanks guys that’s all a great help

Went a few years back. I found the grades tough. (my hopes of 6b+ to 6c became the reality of 6a+!)

Strife 02 Jan 2024

There is a Karst edge guidebook that's really comprehensive and brilliantly written . I ended up in Slovenia by chance in summer 2020. It was so good (although very hot) that I ended up staying for three weeks. Beautiful country and friendly people. I returned in 2023 for another visit. There are some great spots for single pitch sport. Grades are stiff though! 

Edit: this one - https://climb-europe.com/rockclimbingshop/karst-edge-rock-climbing-guideboo...

Post edited at 12:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...