UKC

Tetons National park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jon59 16 Jan 2024

Hi all,

Im investigating options to go climbing in the Tetons national Park sometime in Jul 24 for two to three weeks. The plan is to climb some of the bigger famous trad routes upto HVS, I have a splattering of the newest guidebooks. I have looked at accommodation in Jackson hole when not in the national park and heading in for day hits and 2/3 day trips. It all seems very expensive and 2/3 weeks just doesn't seem long enough in the park to make the trip worth while. Any advice on where to stay, trip logistics, what works and what doesn't would be great.

Cheers Jon

Kimberley 17 Jan 2024
In reply to jon59:

we stayed here

https://americanalpineclub.org/grand-teton-climbers-ranch/

You need to register with NP to go up to climb on Teton and comply with regs relating to waste etc but it’s easy enough once you work it out.

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/winter.htm

DaveHK 17 Jan 2024
In reply to jon59:

I'd say 2 to 3 weeks is plenty to make it worthwhile. We camped at Jenny Lake which was lovely. Irene's Arête is a great route.

Lrunner 17 Jan 2024
In reply to jon59:

The is free camping at the bridge teton national forest. Very basic but free. The visitor centre in jackson will tell you loads. Have a great trip such a stunning place. 

grectangle 17 Jan 2024
In reply to jon59:

Just camp.  You're going to WY to be in the mountains.  So be in the mountains, not in the overpriced resort of Jackson Hole.

I've camped for weeks on end in the West.  It's fun, you get used to it.

Lrunner 17 Jan 2024
In reply to grectangle:

I couldn't agree more, it's such a dry place camping is the way to go.

wittenham 17 Jan 2024

what is the grizzly bear situation like?

DaveHK 17 Jan 2024
In reply to wittenham:

> what is the grizzly bear situation like?

I wasn't aware of grizzlies but there were lots of black bears about when I was there.

Ridge 17 Jan 2024
In reply to jon59:

If you don't fancy camping, there's (or there was) cheaper but still good accommodation than in Jackson Hole along the Moose Wilson Road before Teton Village. 

Post edited at 18:08
 Lrunner 17 Jan 2024
In reply to wittenham:

I saw one pretty close in-between jackson and Dubois. Worth reading up on and chatting to the rangers. Locals know best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...