UKC

What length of sport rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sparbus 16 Dec 2023

Heading to Costa Blanca in early January and likely climbing at the usual venues around Toix, Sella, Gandia, etc. I’m not that experienced a sport climber and was wondering, what length of rope would be best to offer the best choice of options. Is it worth having an 80m rope?

Steve Woollard 16 Dec 2023
In reply to sparbus:

Depends on what routes you want to do, but a 60m rope will be fine for most crags. Never needed an 80m rope in CB, a 70m rope is useful at other places like Sardina and Kalymnos

climberchristy 16 Dec 2023
In reply to sparbus:

I've sport climbed many many times in CB over many years. Only ever taken a 60m rope. It'll get you up and down off 99% of routes out there. Enjoy your trip. 

HeMa 16 Dec 2023
In reply to sparbus:

Like others, a 60m rope is more than fine for almost all climbs in Costa Blanca.

And generally speaking, longer ropes are only needed on some extension climbs, at reasonably high grades.

But If you already have ropes you plan on climbing at home, and your only looking for a rope to be used on sport climbing (trips?). Getting a 70m rope might be a good bet. When it starts to show wear, you can chop off 5m at each end and still a 60m rope.

mik82 16 Dec 2023
In reply to sparbus:

Are you planning on buying a new rope and going to other destinations? 

80m is very useful somewhere like Kalymnos.

jezb1 16 Dec 2023
In reply to mik82:

> Are you planning on buying a new rope and going to other destinations? 

> 80m is very useful somewhere like Kalymnos.

Yup, 80m worth it in the long run and more choppable too.

Trythallj 17 Dec 2023
In reply to sparbus:

I would definitely advise at least 70m. Newer routes are tending to be longer, and not just the harder ones. I know you always put a knot in the end of the rope, but a longer rope might save you when you forget. 

Paul Hy 18 Dec 2023
In reply to sparbus:

coming up to 10 visits to Costa Blanca now, i took a 60 the first time, but then bought a 70m which as someone said above, some of the newer routes need it.  So i'd go 70m

AdrianWalter 18 Dec 2023
In reply to sparbus: Another advantage (admittedly minor) of 70m over 80m. I’ve found a 70 will just squeeze into the helmet storage well under the seat of a rental scooter. 

OP sparbus 18 Dec 2023
In reply to sparbus:

Thanks everyone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...