UKC

Which London bouldering wall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Spike 14 Dec 2023

Which london wall?

Am down for a few days late December and just want to do bouldering on a free afternoon. Will be staying in Central London, don't mind travelling on the tube though.

I really fancied Parthian, but also wondered about Harrow Wall (but it looks a further travel). Any advice from locals is welcome please.

Cheers

S

seankenny 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Spike:

The one quickest and closest one to wherever you’re staying. Google maps is usually pretty accurate for timings, just ignore it when they suggest taking several buses. 

simonthelwall 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Spike:

Personally, I love HarroWall - really big centre, lots to try, but it's quite a long way from Central London. 

Yonder is very funky and has a nice comp wall. 

Substation in Brixton is great, the 12m roof is a lot of fun. 

VauxWalls are good but can get busy in the late afternoon/evenings

EustonWall - the one time I;ve been was very crowded with the afterwork crowd and I wouldn't go again. 

I'm partial to Arch North which always seems quiet and has nice setting, again a bit of  trek from central. 

AP49 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Spike:

If you can get to Baker Street easily, you could be climbing at HarroWall within half an hour. The Met line is pretty speedy and it’s a 5 min walk from the tube station.

seankenny 14 Dec 2023
In reply to AP49:

If the OP is pushed for time then any wall close to the Elizabeth Line is a winner as it’s so quick (when it’s working).

OP Spike 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Spike:

Thanks all, really helpful. Any reviews on Parthian Wandsworth.

In reply to Spike:

My favourite walls when I’m in London are…

Hang. Yonder, Stronghold Tottenham Hale, The Font

I do like the LCC walls, good solid offering, I’d have to say Harrow is my least favourite. Couldn’t tell you why just never have a good sesh there. 

Parthian is fine but if you’re in Wandsworth and just bouldering you’d prefer The Font, probably the best community wall I’ve ever been to in the U.K. lovely people.

Iamgregp 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Spike:

So much to choose from in London...

LCC walls are good, Bethwall is my favourite, Euston my least...

Mile End is great for Bouldering as is The Castle (also great for routes)  both are near tube stops that aren't too far from central.

Iamgregp 14 Dec 2023
In reply to seankenny:

Good point (big fan of the Lizzy Line) but that got me thinking - which bouldering venue is closest to a Lizzy Line station?

As far as I know there are none which are less than a 10 minute walk from a Lizzy Line Station  - Canary Wharf to Canary Wall was what I was thinking so I'm not sure you wouldn't be better off jumping on the tube and getting off at one of the Stations right on top of a bouldering venue (RavensWall quite literally is!).

seankenny 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Yes you’re probably right but the new line weirdly distorts how far away certain places are. It all depends on where the OP is staying.

Wandsworth remains a pain to get to from nearly everywhere else. 

RX-78 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Spike:

Ah! Must say i miss the London walls now that I am in Lyon. The ones here are much smaller with less regular setting. The scene here is dominated by Mroc and ClimbUp which have a joint membership option so its very hard for any other wall to compete with them for business , hence i think no real pressure to innovate or grow.

OP Spike 14 Dec 2023
In reply to seankenny:

thanks, we'll be in Hammersmith if that helps refine things at all. But dont mind a longish tube.train bus ride if its worth it.

Cheers

S

seankenny 14 Dec 2023
In reply to Spike:

Ravenswall is good and under ten minutes away from Hammersmith. If you wanted to spend more of your holiday on London public transport than absolutely necessary I guess you could take the Piccadilly line up to the Castle.

Iamgregp 14 Dec 2023
In reply to seankenny:

Agreed.  Ravenswall is the one if you're pushed for time in Hammersmith, definitely think The Castle is worth the half hour on the tube if you've got time on your hands. 

Eduardo2010 15 Dec 2023
In reply to Spike:

Westway is reasonably close to Hammersmith. Some bouldering, plenty of roped climbing. They also do courses (reasonably priced) if you want to learn to rope climb. 

James Harker 21 Dec 2023
In reply to simonthelwall:

When I lived there I went to Eustonwall quite a bit as was near to my office. Was always almost comically rammed, actually hard to get anything done!

HakanT 21 Dec 2023
In reply to Spike:

Ravenswall is definitely your safest bet for bouldering in the Hammersmith area. You may want to check out The Arch Acton, if you venture a little further West. (District Line to Gunnersbury, Overground to Acton Central) Bouldring in an old art deco movie theatre.

In reply to Spike:

surprised no ones mentioned Mile End yet. 

Fraser 21 Dec 2023
In reply to goodmorningcaptain:

They have, a week ago! 😉

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...