UKC

Gran Paradiso

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ijg0 18 Jun 2022

We're planning an ascent in August starting from the Chabod hut. 

Can anyone confirm the approx time from hut to summit then descent to the valley?

I've been reading lots of trip reports and itinerary which vary widely. Some as short as 6 hours (which is probably hut to summit to hut?) and others up to 12 hours!

Bob Aitken 18 Jun 2022
In reply to ijg0:

I'd say about 8 hours from hut to summit and back to the valley - as you suggest 6 hours is more likely to be for hut back to hut.  Of course that will partly depend on how fit you are and whether you have any issues with altitude.  But another factor in August might be whether you can get to the top ahead of the likely crowds, failing which you can readily spend an hour or two negotiating the queues on the narrow final crest.  The question then arises as to how much importance you attach to getting up those last few metres, either to the Madonna or to the true summit a wee bit further on ....

DaveHK 18 Jun 2022
In reply to ijg0:

I was 4hrs 45mins valley to valley. #notsohumblebrag.  

Bob Aitken 18 Jun 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Chapeau sir! - 2200m up and down, not bad going.  The excellent paths certainly help.  Last time I was there we did do it from the valley and back, but suffered the aforementioned awkward and bad-tempered struggle through the multitudes to attain the high point, exacerbated by a 90-minute  blizzard squall just at the inopportune point of the day.  It took us about ten hours, which I didn't think too bad in the circumstances for a couple nearing pensionable age.

cb294 18 Jun 2022
In reply to ijg0:

Hard to say, took me and my daughter something like 8h-ish hut-summit-valley (down via the normal route and the V.E. hut), but it really depends how long you spend at the summit, or back at the hut. If you rush through and don't stop for cake 6h sounds doable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...