UKC

Leaking at the seams - walking boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mlewis 02 Nov 2023

I have a pair of Scarpa Rush walking boots which are 3 years old and fairly water resistant, however when I step in puddles water comes in pretty rapidly at the bottom of the tongue. I think they are leaking at the seems. (They have suede leather uppers and Gortex tongues)

​​I've looked at the various waterproofing products and the info on Scarpa's website, however nothing specifically targets leaking seems. 

Can anyone recommend a product or method that doesn't involve avoiding puddles? 

blackcat 02 Nov 2023
In reply to Mlewis:

I think id be inclined to keep them for dry mountain days and buy another pair of boots,other than that waterproof socks.

In reply to Mlewis:

I have a pair of La Sportiva boots made of a similar material. They are slightly leaky. I tried using the Nikwax product for Nubuck and it made little difference. I think if it is the seams then it will be hard to fix. You could maybe try the solid wax but obviously this will radically change the appearance of your boots.

On proper leather boots which were leaking a little at overlapping seams I’ve had some success with one of the gluey products. Might have been Shoe Goo. 

Post edited at 10:35
 Sean Kelly 02 Nov 2023
In reply to Mlewis:

Answer: Leather and a good smattering of dubbin (or similar). 

Neil Williams 02 Nov 2023
In reply to Mlewis:

Have you tried spraying them with waterproofing, e.g. the Grangers stuff?  No guarantee but it may well work.

In reply to Mlewis:

Agree with blackcat. If the boots are otherwise sound, relegate them to summer/light duty use, and buy a pair of full leather boots for winter/wet use. 

Or try waterproof socks? I haven't myself, but some people swear by them.

Jon Greengrass 02 Nov 2023
In reply to Mlewis:

Nikwax waterproofing wax for leather fixed the leaking stitching on my leather walking boots. Even their nubuck and suede proof is so good  that  a pair of suede desert boots I treated with it became completely waterproof.

Jimbo C 02 Nov 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Answer: Leather and a good smattering of dubbin (or similar). 

Yes, and as few pieces of leather as possible (fewest no. of seams possible)

Lankyman 02 Nov 2023
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

> Or try waterproof socks? I haven't myself, but some people swear by them.

I've not tried theses either but they sound like they could be an incubator for footrot? I suffered quite badly from athletes foot last winter to the point where I could barely walk it was so painful. It's appeared in the past but this was on another level and it took me weeks to get under control. Sweating feet are a prime aggravator.

In reply to Lankyman:

I have to say that I don't fancy waterproof socks either, would turn my feet into a walking petri dish! And they are hardly cheap. 

Andypeak 02 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

I can confirm that they are the most sweaty  thing in the world. I think because the outer sock becomes saturated they can't breath at all. 

oldie 02 Nov 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

I've worn plastic bags over outer socks to avoid my feet being soaked in cold water. Sweaty but warm. I did so after being told in the 70s that mountain guides did so when wearing plywood stiffened non-waterproof suede Messner boots. It works possibly better than goretex socks nearer the skin in soaking coditions (??) but I haven't tried latter. Obviously frequent use unhealthy. Plastic ski/mountain boots can't breathe either.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

When Gordon and I started hillwalking in the '60s, the boots were sold with tins of dubbin. This makes the leather soft and comfortable, to the point it gets lacerated very easily and the stitching can pull. It was a senior Zermatt (a Taugwalder or Perren) who told us never to use that stuff "just use ordinary shoe polish". I've followed that useful advice ever since.

As for waterproof socks, I've never found need for them, even when spending months at a time in my boots all day. There is something going badly wrong with your equipment or technique if any significant water is getting in through the boots or via the ankles. (Tip: snow gaiters or ankle gaiters are a good idea, as is taking off your boots to wade through streams.)

misterb 03 Nov 2023
In reply to Mlewis:

You could try a small amount of flexible seam sealer on that area if you think it is just the stitching at the bottom where the tongue meets the upper

This will look shiny and a bit naff but if you don't care about the look of them it might help

OP Mlewis 03 Nov 2023

That's a shame, I was hoping UKC would have the magic solution. 

I'll give them a good clean and treat with a spray on product, if not I might try some sealant in the seem. 

twoshoes 03 Nov 2023
In reply to Mlewis:

It's probably been said above, but if there's water getting in through a gore-tex liner then I suspect you've either got a hole in the gore-tex or water is being forced through under pressure at the boot's flex-point from a soaked outer. If you're immediately feeling water when wading through a puddle then it's probably the former.

There's not a huge amount you can do other than really keeping on top of proofing. I find wax tends to last a bit longer than spray on stuff but water often seems to find a way through on a long day. Sealant might work, never tried that. Good luck!

In reply to John Stainforth:

> tins of dubbin. This makes the leather soft and comfortable

Exactly that; dubbin is for softening leather. You don't want that.

Nikwax, Granger's, etc, are not dubbin.

Sean Kelly 03 Nov 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

What I actually use John is Grangers Boot wax rather than dubbin which is really old hat so to speak. 

https://grangers.co.uk/products/waterproofing-wax

It has beeswax amongst other oils and proofing agents. They suggest 3 thin coats applied with a cloth, but I smear it on thickly especially on any seams, which are obviously more prone to leakage.

However when I ticked all the Munros, I invariably used Gortex boots for comfort, but rarely had dry feet. But I did use both leather and plastic during winter ascents, as wet cold feet is to be avoided. I think that lightweight gortex type boots are great for warmer climes, but don't often suit the damp British climate. I'm  in Snowdonia next week and will certainly be in my lightweight leather boots.

At present I'm using these boots from go-outdoors which are terrific value for money when you consider what most boots cost.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16065960/peter-storm-men-s-snowdon-ii-walking-...

So good I bought 2 pairs and intend to replace my oldest pair which are still keeping the water out but there is virtually no tread left.

Post edited at 13:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...