UKC

Ankle Ligament Surgery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RdC 06 Jul 2023

Hello, wondering if anyone has had ankle ligament surgery in the past. Got ATFL ligament surgery 10 weeks ago and getting burning pain at the ankle joint (same burning pain pre-op) so not sure if this is normal burning from the operation or the operation hasn't cleared up the initial problem. Just wondering what anyones post rehab pains were?   

Post edited at 16:38
 girlymonkey 06 Jul 2023
In reply to RdC:

I had my ankle ligaments reconstructed a very long time ago (around 20 years ago). 

Did they remove any scar tissue build up when they did yours? They shaved my scar tissue out as they said that was one of the main things causing the pain. 

I seem to remember rehab to normal -ish levels of activity being about 2 months, but I was 21 so you would expect it to be quick. 

20 years later, I trail run, climb, ski etc. I work as a walking guide and outdoor instructor and the ankle is perfect 

OP RdC 06 Jul 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

Cheers Girlmonkey. Yes, the did debridement of tissue and shaved some bone growths. Hopefully it settles down soon!!!

Jim B 06 Jul 2023
In reply to RdC:

The Brostrum repair works very well , allowing full return to sport.

Did the burning go away after the op and then return? Has it never changed?

Could be nerve irritation, bone bruising...many things. You need to raise it with the surgeon or your physio. If this was all done via the NHS it may take some time to talk to anyone, but the surgeon is the best person to ask, he was inside your ankle so should know what was damaged and give you input on healing times.

Usually 3 months to be fair ( it will still ache a bit and walking distances will be limited by discomfort and swelling) and 6 months to be good (you can walk loads, minimal ankle discomfort and swelling after exercise) and starting rehab for sport. All cases have limitations particular to the amount of damage, age etc.

Good Luck, they usually respond well although I would take football of the menu due to risk of re injury, and your balance will never be 100% after this type of heave injury and repair but will be good enough for anything sub Olympic level.

OP RdC 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Jim B:

Jim,

I got arthrex brace. The burning was pre-op and was fairly constant for the last year. After the op I was 6 weeks until out the boot (didnt feel anything here as wasnt moving ankle joint). First week out the boot was a bit burney, then had 2 really good weeks were I had no pain. The last week has been burney and back to pre-op symptoms. I did start some light cycling this week so think this has set it off.

I went private and asked the surgeon should I be concerned about this burning and he just said anywhere between 3-6months to see if surgery has helped the previous pain symptoms.

Thanks for your reply.

Ross

Jim B 11 Jul 2023
In reply to RdC:

Hi Ross

yes, time is a critical factor but... you might try some peroneal nerve flossing , if the pain is lateral ankle.

Don't over do it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flossing+peronealankle+nerves&rlz=1C1GC...

Start with gentle cycling, probably on a static bike, also work on gluteus medius and work on foot position/flexor hallucis longus and tibialis posterior along with calf strength, look at some of the work by The Foot Collective.

If you push the ankle to hard too soon it will get grumpy. Work on good proprioceptive control, use toe spacers and barefeet during rehab

https://www.moboboard.com/exercises

https://thetoespacer.com/products/toe-spacer

to restore normal loading through the foot and good dynamic control.

It will be 6 months at least before you have a reasonable idea how things are improving. If the ankle is wobbly during balance work then it lacks control and has a degree of functional instability. The surgery should have reduced the mechanical instability, you need to get good ankle motor control now.

Best Wishes

Jim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...