UKC

Another unfortunate outcome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tringa 09 Aug 2023

This is an old story as the victim died in February.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cqevd92439jo

I can see how, in the weather at the time, -

"Glencoe MRT told the inquest the weather on the day Mr Ringart died was extreme, with rain and poor visibility due to low cloud and strong winds "-

it would be easy for someone to lose contact , but this -

"Members of the walking group mentioned that the casualty had been stumbling and falling. They did not know the reason this happened but exposure could have certainly been a factor.”

- is very sad. Had someone in the group recognised those could be symptoms of exposure things might have been different.

Dave

nathan79 09 Aug 2023
In reply to Tringa:

I read that this morning and wondered how no-one recognised something was amiss. Sounds like an avoidable tragedy, the worst kind.

In reply to Tringa:

"Ms Taylor expressed regret that no full statements had been taken from other members of the hiking group"

I thought a coroner had the power to call witnesses.

Sounds like "the umbles" were missed: stumbles, fumbles, mumbles, grumbles.

In reply to Andy Johnson:

> There is no coroner system in Scotland. 

The inquest was held in Cumbria, presumably because that is where the casualty was from.

"The Cumbria coroner ruled his death was an accident"

"Cumbria coroner Margaret Taylor said he 'went out that day with the best of intentions' but things 'took a turn'."

Post edited at 11:04
 J72 09 Aug 2023
In reply to Tringa:

I was up in Coire Nan Lochan when MRT were bringing the casualty down - I don’t think anyone should speculate on courses of action by the rest of the party without the facts (which, as is reported, we’re not gathered in this case). I hope his family can find some peace.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...