UKC

NEW ROUTE CARD: Bannisdale Horseshoe

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Norman Hadley 06 Apr 2024

If you like marginal lands, you’ll love Bannisdale. In the far south-east of Lakeland, the landscape softens and blurs into grassy undulations reminiscent of the nearby Howgills. In recent years, the Lakes and Dales boundaries have been redrawn to acknowledge the smudging of edges. Depending who you ask, this is either Westmorland, Cumbria or Westmorland again. Wainwright initially overlooked these fells, with nearby Tarn Crag and Grey Crag being the furthest outposts of his domain. Later, he corralled Bannisdale into his eighth guide: the Outlying Fells. For lovers of solitude, this loop offers vast open spaces with fantastic views over the Kendal countryside. Expect few encounters on your way round, unless you count skylarks, meadow pipits and red deer. The terrain also supports a healthy population of caterpillars so, to coin a phrase, watch where you are putting your feet. Talking of feet, prepare them for a little dampness: these broad, rounded ridges drain at their own sweet pace. 11 miles, 17.70 km, 634m ascent, 2:30 – 4 hours. Kendal

Read more

OP Norman Hadley 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Norman Hadley:

Apologies for the clumsy typo in the first paragraph - it's definitely Bannisdale not Bannerdale. 

Lankyman 07 Apr 2024

You're right to describe Bannisdale as 'marginal', Norman. It's in the national park but, like other valleys east of Longsleddale and Mardale doesn't feel like 'typical' Lakeland. I've wandered all over those fells and dales and you often come across odd features that are quintessentially Lakeland (an outcrop, a waterfall, a wooded gill say) marooned in a sea of moorland. It's ten years since I was last in Bannisdale but I recall seeing evidence of regeneration of native woodland above the farmhouse at Bannisdale Head (a contender for the remotest farm in Lakeland?) https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3816382

Did you notice the plaque embedded in the Whiteside Pike cairn?

OP Norman Hadley 07 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Intriguing, isn't it, Lankyman? You can just see it in that first photo. Do you know the story of this inter-parish meeting?

Lankyman 08 Apr 2024

I don't know the story behind the plaque https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5349875 but it reminds me that I was there more recently than I thought. If Wainwright had been alive and seen it I suspect he'd have said it was the most exciting thing that ever happened there?

I've done the full horseshoe once and both 'arms' separately with a return back down the dale (pleasant in itself). On our visit in 2014 we were challenged by a youngish farmer on a quad bike about why we were there (off the bridleway) on our way up Lamb Pasture. I explained using our OS map about the 'new' CRoW access rules and he seemed genuinely surprised. He wasn't confrontational nor were we, I just think it shows how much off the beaten track those fells are.

OP Norman Hadley 08 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Well, I did my bit for farmer liason the other day, when I set this capsized yow on her feet.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...