UKC

Google maps satellite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 10 Jan 2023

Hmmm, not the most helpful right now, showing images of deep snow covered terrain (around Gaick Lodge). Looking to make plans for later in the year but images not v helpful in identifying paths / tracks not on OS maps

How current or how often are those images refreshed? 

Mike-W-99 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

Not very.(ie they aren’t anywhere near real-time more like years between updates)

Try bing maps that use a different dataset.

Post edited at 15:02
 girlymonkey 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

Have you tried Strava heat maps? I find it super useful. It's a website, not the app (same company). 

I like to go to the settings and select "hybrid" and "labels" for most usefulness.

OP Flinticus 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Thought it was years then I saw the snow and wondered if it was more regular, i.e., updated this winter - see screenshot

rif 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

The airphoto layer on OSMaps is good for that kind of thing, and I think it's freely available, unlike the 1:50k and 1:25k topo maps. 

probablylost 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

If you go on google earth (desktop, don't think it works online) you can change the date of the imagery.

StuDoig 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

Try FATMAP, their free account will give you satellite data and they have summer and winter options.

www.fatmap.com

Cheers,

Stu

Harry Jarvis 10 Jan 2023
In reply to probablylost:

> If you go on google earth (desktop, don't think it works online) you can change the date of the imagery.

Can you explain how to do that? I'm looking at Flinticus's planned destination and I can't see a way to change the imagery date. 

CantClimbTom 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

Wow, the Google sat/composite copyright Maxar Technologies is from 2023 for Gaick Lodge. 

Even my estate of CantClimbTom Hall (my mid terrace mansion ) is dated 2023 although but a different provider/source and looks recent. I think they must be doing a refresh? normally this stuff is a couple of years old.

Post edited at 16:51
OP Flinticus 10 Jan 2023
In reply to rif:

Thanks. 

That worked.

Cam Forrest 10 Jan 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Imagery date "2/19/2022"

probablylost 11 Jan 2023
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

In the main menu you go to view -> historical imagery

https://support.google.com/earth/answer/148094?hl=en

Harry Jarvis 11 Jan 2023
In reply to probablylost:

> In the main menu you go to view -> historical imagery

Excellent! Very many thanks. It turns out I've been using an old version of Google Earth which doesn't have the same features. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...