UKC

Parking for overnighters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Like many (presumably), I have taken my chances parking in/on verges (like in Langdale) (not causing any obstruction in doing so) where there are police ‘no parking on verge’ signs, without ever getting a ticket when doing one of two nighters in the hills in over 25 years of doing so.

I am wondering if this will become harder/less acceptable to do in future as I see an explosion of content creators on the various video hosting sites showing the world what we have known for years, the fun and unpredictable nature of wild camping. 

I am a national trust member and use the facilities on offer ref parking for day trips, I am wondering if there is a small need for multi day parking options, I am happy to pay for the parking, but there seems to be a lack of offerings.

Andypeak 24 Aug 2023
In reply to Andrew Breckill:

In the past I've parked in national trust car parks overnight with no issues. I wasn't aware you weren't meant to.

Jenny C 24 Aug 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

Long time ago we were told by a warden overnight parking (not camping) was fine so long as you bought two tickets on arrival or displayed a members badge.

climbingpixie 24 Aug 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

When we parked at the Wasdale NT carpark for a weekend climbing on Scafell there were signs up saying no overnight parking but I assumed they were aimed at discouraging car/fly camping rather than responsible wild camping up in the hills. We left a ticket for day 1, a membership card on the dashboard and a note saying we'd be back on Sunday (mostly so no-one called MRT on us). We didn't have any issues or get a parking ticket so I assume they were ok with it, though I'm never sure whether the NT can actually do anything about non-compliant parking anyway.

In reply to climbingpixie:

Hey pixie, I have done the same also in the past. I have emailed NT and they say no, but, I noticed a couple of vans parked overnight last weekend and no one seemed to bother them. I will probably continue to do so then, it’s not going to be a regular thing. NT will issue a parking contravention notice if they do happen to see a car parked overnight, but there is no fine for doing so. 
I am of the mindset that done responsibly it should be allowed, as long as no trace is left of being there. 

In reply to climbingpixie:

If you're nts, card on the dash or sticker in the window is standard procedure because the machines don't recognise the card and won't dispense a free ticket. So I don't see how they could really get upset with just a card or car sticker for nt members, and then don't see how they could tell between an unoccupied car left overnight and one that arrived really early. My interpretation was just that they don't want the car parks to become a campsite for the #vanwankers the OP refers to.

Post edited at 17:12
 deepsoup 24 Aug 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> ... because the machines don't recognise the card and won't dispense a free ticket.

Actually in all the NT car parks I've used recently, they do.  The card has a QR code on it - you show that to the machine and collect a free ticket to display in the car.

Ridge 24 Aug 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

+1

climbingpixie 24 Aug 2023

The machines at the Wasdale car park do give you a ticket if you scan your card. We were staying up there for two nights so I figured it would be obvious that the car hadn't moved. As I said, I was mostly worried that someone would see the car was still there and think we'd got ourselves into trouble - the last thing I wanted was the MRT to be called out needlessly because a NT official was concerned.

In reply to the 3 previous posts:

> if you're nts, card on the dash or sticker in the window is standard procedure because the machines don't recognise the card

https://www.nts.org.uk/

I haven't just not tried. I might sound stupid, but I'm not that thick 😉

Post edited at 17:56
 deepsoup 25 Aug 2023

> I haven't just not tried. I might sound stupid, but I'm not that thick 😉

Oh, you're using reciprocal rights, I see.  My mistake.

It's a moot point anyway I think, if you're entitled to free parking NT say they won't enforce a fine regardless.

> Q:  Will members be fined if they don't have their membership cards?
> A: No. If you don't have your card to scan for free parking you may receive a compliance notice. This will not lead to a fine.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/services/help-centre/car-parking-faqs

Mike-W-99 25 Aug 2023

Been asked to show my nts card once at brimham before they remembered the nts sticker has a date on it.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

Yeah, if we're in the car that doesn't have the sticker I typically have a conversation with someone official that quickly ends with 'yep, they don't scan. Just leave your card on the dash.'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...