UKC

Leaf blowers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bleddynmawr 28 Oct 2023

Is there a better example of technology replacing something that is just fundamentally better? They are noisy, expensive and use energy whereas a broom, as trigger would tell you, is silent, cheap and lasts forever.

And if my neighbour keeps using one every Saturday morning I might just be giving him my broom, but not neccesarily in his hand!

Sam Beaton 28 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Ride Sheffield use them on the mountain bike trails round here. Don't think brooms would be much use there! But yes, using them on tarmac seems unnecessary

wintertree 28 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

They do have one valid use I’ve seen - clearing a large quantity of sawdust from an outdoor area after tree felling.

Otherwise I agree with you!

DizzyT 28 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Indispensable if you have a gravel driveway.

In reply to bleddynmawr:

Spring tine rake for leaves, surely, not a broom?

john arran 28 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I find one invaluable for blowing away the dust and soil left on ledges and holds after cleaning and bolting slabby routes. Takes far longer with a brush and is much less effective.

FactorXXX 28 Oct 2023
In reply to wintertree:

> They do have one valid use I’ve seen - clearing a large quantity of sawdust from an outdoor area after tree felling.

Also used by F1 teams to help cool down various bits of their cars.

MG 28 Oct 2023
In reply to DizzyT:

> Indispensable if you have a gravel driveway.

No.

fred99 28 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

All leaf blowers do is blow the leaves away temporarily, and then for nature to blow them back again - or to annoy someone else - later. They might have some uses, but might be better described as "leaf redistributors".

Ridge 28 Oct 2023
In reply to fred99:

I once drove home in a howling gale and saw a bloke using a leaf blower on the pavement outside his house.

Myfyr Tomos 28 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

But they're good fun though...    youtube.com/watch?v=EQ9H_Zrk3jQ&

CantClimbTom 28 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Leaf blowers are invaluable, how else would you start a pulse jet bicycle???

https://youtu.be/bKHz7wOjb9w?si=ucrDCQXSo3gTjTte

RobAJones 28 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I didn't mind seeing them being used in Northern Italy, on the cycle paths, by someone following the hedge cutter/strimmer. I certainly wouldn't object if an attachment could be fitted to the back of tractors that were hedge cutting the local hawthorn hedges. 

AllanMac 28 Oct 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

Ideally metal spring tine rake for wet leaves on grass, stiff broom for the same on tarmac.

On gravel, a light plastic rake or blower/vac if the leaves are dry. A vac mashes the leaves up, making them more rapidly compostable into mulch than whole leaves.

DizzyT 28 Oct 2023
In reply to MG:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of the noise. But having cleared the same driveway without then with a leaf blower I can assure you it takes around a third of the time, is much more thorough (especially if the leaves are wet) and considerably easier. I use it twice a year. For the leaves on grass I just run the mower over them and the worms take them over winter.

Maggot 28 Oct 2023
In reply to RobAJones:

Bloody thorns!

We tried cycling back to Manchester from Stoke on the towpath once,  gave up at the top of Bosley locks after the 8th or 9th puncture between us and called the caverly out.

Mike-W-99 28 Oct 2023
 timjones 28 Oct 2023
In reply to DizzyT:

> Indispensable if you have a gravel driveway.

If you carefully adjust the height of  a lawnmower it will pick up the leaves and deposit them into the grass box.

However, it will still be noisy and upset any neighbours that are idling the day away

Glug 28 Oct 2023
In reply to RobAJones:

They do exist, some of the hedge cutters in my local area have them. 

Umfana 28 Oct 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Leaf blowers are invaluable, how else would you start a pulse jet bicycle???

came on here to say the same thing.

Can't start a pulsejet without one.

hang_about 28 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Los Angeles used to be the home of the 2 stroke leaf blower. They changed the law to require them to be electric years ago. Considerably quieter and less polluting (but more so than a broom of course). I don't know why we haven't taken the same route.

BruceM 28 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

In the town I live in, the local council use one or two to (try to) clear the leaves from a park that is about 1km long by 1/2 km wide that is covered in trees.  It takes them weeks, and I think by then most of the leaves have just blown away naturally anyway.

G. Tiger, Esq. 28 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

The annoying thing about leaf blowers isn't so much the noise, but rather the repeated on/off/on/off as they are in use. Same with strimmers. 

If it were constantly on then they wouldn't be quite so offensive. I do my best when strimming to keep it either on or off, rather than pulsing the trigger 

Bulls Crack 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

I thought around Sheffield they'd have just cut the trees down  

Sam Beaton 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I'll pass that suggestion onto Ride Sheffield 😉

Duncan Bourne 31 Oct 2023
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Largely depends on the amount of leaves and the area. Over large areas (housing estates, sports areas) a (good) blower will be infinitely quicker. However on a small average size house area a brush is a lot less faff.

Also as Timmned said above a lawn mower with a raised cut will suck up all but the sticky ones

Post edited at 15:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...