UKC

OS maps. What have I made?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 26 Apr 2024

Evening 

I’ve printed some maps today for a trip on Sunday.

I printed them from a desktop computer.

When choosing options at print, I chose Landranger which I think is the OS 1:50 000 map, but, I chose the option to stick at 1:25000 scale which I’ve never seen before.

This printed me an A4, landscape map which is much easier for my old eyes to read, as opposed to the Explorer version where it is hard to differentiate the contours etc.

I printed explorer and landranger versions, and they both have the same coverage and blue 1km/ 4cm grid lines.

With the Landranger version, do I have a valid 1:250000 map but with different topographical features?

Ta

Dave

Post edited at 20:30
 DaveHK 26 Apr 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> With the Landranger version, do I have a valid 1:250000 map but with different topographical features?

Yes. It's the Landranger image but 'zoomed in' to 1:25,000

OP Dave the Rave 26 Apr 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Thank you, it is much better 

Fat Bumbly 2.0 26 Apr 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

This is done in orienteering, The same map is often printed at different scales to aid legibility according to the age class of the race.  I used to print a lot of maps off at 1:40k for improved clarity when I used Anquet.

alibrightman 27 Apr 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Use a ruler to check that the 1km grid squares are the size you expect them to be. Same applies to all map printouts you intend to use for navigation.

I find 1:50000 Landranger printed at 1:25000 to be a good combination for navigation on Scottish hills.

MG 27 Apr 2024
In reply to alibrightman:

> Use a ruler to check that the 1km grid squares are the size you expect them to be. 

Does it really matter? A1 km square will be 1km regardless, etc.

DaveHK 27 Apr 2024
In reply to MG:

>  Does it really matter? A1 km square will be 1km regardless, etc.

That's how I approach it. The way I often print maps means the actual scale can be something pretty random but it doesn't really matter for how I'm using it.

In reply to MG:

Depends how you will be using it I guess. If you think you will need to measure distances on the map while out it would be a pain to have to divide every measurement by 0.87 or whatever to get the right distance. Predominantly thats probably only going to be a problem if you might need to pace legs in a whiteout though.

Can’t say it would make a difference to 99% of my outings. Mind you, I’ve had days where it wouldn’t have made much difference if the map showed the wrong hill, never mind an odd scale. 

Summit Else 29 Apr 2024
In reply to MG:

>  Does it really matter? A1 km square will be 1km regardless, etc.

Problem is it won't be accurate when you use your compass 1:25K romer scale to read off say a 250m leg and start pacing it out carefully.

MG 29 Apr 2024
In reply to Summit Else:

In principle yes.  In practice a 5% printer error (or whatever) isn't going to be an issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...