UKC

SPotY shortlist out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 12 Dec 2023

No standout obvious winner this year, but I'm trending towards Stuart Broad. More of a career contribution rather than one outstanding performance but he did sign out in style.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/67623729

midgen 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Earps or Broad for me. Broad edges it for his bail-swapping hi-jinks.

OP Sean Kelly 12 Dec 2023
In reply to midgen:

> Earps or Broad for me. Broad edges it for his bail-swapping hi-jinks.

Earps was my number 2.

Pedro50 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I've found ten other words made from Earps, good game.

Post edited at 11:26
 john arran 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Good game indeed. I have nine, amongst a total of 43 words of any length that aren't just abbreviations or slang.

Post edited at 11:54
 Pedro50 12 Dec 2023
In reply to john arran:

Yes must be five letters! 

I've included three non-English words.

john arran 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I think my nine are all UK English, at least one of them is Scottish.

nathan79 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Similar thoughts. Broad likely for the career aspect rather than the last year.

Would be very interesting if Mary Earp's wins it given that she's a goalie. A position not often in receipt of plaudits when up against other positions never mind other sports.

Derry 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

personally I'd go for KJT, but then I like athletics more than cricket (slightly) or football (definitely), and have followed her career highs and lows more closely over the last few years. To come back, win the World Title throwing and running PB's when it didn't look possible is quite unbelievable. 

Harry Jarvis 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Derry:

> personally I'd go for KJT, but then I like athletics more than cricket (slightly) or football (definitely), and have followed her career highs and lows more closely over the last few years. To come back, win the World Title throwing and running PB's when it didn't look possible is quite unbelievable. 

My thoughts exactly. She's had a tough journey and is to be commended for the way she has taken on all her challenges. Of all the British performances at the World Championships, hers was the one that bought a lump to the throat. 

chris_r 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Ronnie O'Sullivan missed off again. What has he got to do to make the shortlist?

Ciro 12 Dec 2023
In reply to chris_r:

> Ronnie O'Sullivan missed off again. What has he got to do to make the shortlist?

Take up a sport?

Philb1950 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Stand out winner could be Josh Kerr current 1500m world champion and Olympic medalist. Same old BBC.

Myfyr Tomos 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

How about Elfyn Evans from Dinas Mawddwy? Just finished second in the World Rally Championship driving for the works Toyota team. I don't think he's been mentioned by the BBC, despite being one of the top drivers in the world for the past five years. https://www.elfynevans.com/copy-of-wrc-2022

Robert Durran 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> How about Elfyn Evans from Dinas Mawddwy? Just finished second in the World Rally Championship........

When people who only come second are considered, I think it is a weak year. As far as I can see only two on the list have been world beaters this year.

Lankyman 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Wot no Tyson Fury? All that ducking and diving not paying his council tax ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...