UKC

The worlds greatest fishing venue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 03 Nov 2023

Is this. It was my sons seventh birthday. On his first cast with his new rod, 5 pound pollock. 

Any other stunningly  scenic fishing spots?

Post edited at 15:47

philipivan 03 Nov 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Did you eat it?

Ciro 03 Nov 2023

I went fishing at Rieff a few years back, as I didn't have anyone to climb with. 

Hadn't fished since my youth, when I had been well known for catching very little.

Scrambled down to a ledge at a likely looking spot and was hauling fish in every second or third cast, mostly Pollock (including a couple of very large ones), and a handful of mackerel.

It definitely meets the scenic test, but more importantly it healed the childhood trauma of my incompetence 😁

In reply to philipivan:

Sure did. Each side gave two filets. Dusted in seasoned flour and fried, in two frying pans. Also cooked Makerel, various shellfish including mussels and cockles and clams. Also ate some seaweed from the rocks. Delish, and great texture. 

In reply to Ciro:

Fished at Rieff myself.
A cracking place is the rocks at Clachtoll. Was catching Makerel there and a small pod of porpoise swam past us ten feet off the rocks.
A climbing mate used to live on Skye, and he once sent  me a photo of a minke whale at Neist, so close that it didnt fit into the frame of his camera! He said ‘you could have stepped off the rocks onto its back’ !!  

Billhook 04 Nov 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger

Canoeing on the Thelon River  in NWT Northern Canada.  My first cast too!

:http://bp0.blogger.com/_kYq2n68Y138/R2Rh4JxCt6I/AAAAAAAAAEk/O__3wOdUp6k/s16...

Post edited at 08:19
In reply to Billhook:

Wow!  Is that a musky ?  I’ve got tonnes of pike, and would love to catch a musky. 

hang_about 04 Nov 2023

I went to neiss point on Skye in a howling gale. It was so windy everyone stayed in their cars. It was hard to walk. Staggered down the path then climbed down the ledges by the lighthouse. Completely sheltered from the howling wind above. Huge pollack. No one there. It was magical.

Alternatively a recent day on Anglesey.  Caught a nice bass on a lure after struggling across weed covered rocks for 30 min. Loads of birds, seals etc. Blue sky, no wind and not a person in sight.

Billhook 04 Nov 2023

No, I think we were a little  further north than Muskies live.  This was on the tundra / forest edge 60m south of the Arctic circle.   Its a Lake Trout - they also live in rivers!.  I thought this one was massive, but a local Cree Indian hunter told me they grow up 20lb -30lb and wondered why I wanted a photo of my 'tiddler'!

Great wildlife up there.  Wolves, Musk Ox, Caribou, the odd Grizzly, Gyr falcons on nests, Bald Eagles, rock Ptarmigan.  

hang_about 04 Nov 2023

Your boy will be hooked! He then just needs to deal with the blanks in future. That looks a great spot.

In reply to Billhook:

It’s a cracking looking fish, for a ‘tiddler’ !

Post edited at 11:13
In reply to hang_about:

That was 15 years ago. He was spoilt with fishing, either fishing in places like that or from my boat in the Lake District. I remember on day on Coniston we got three pike in three casts. It’s actually on YouTube somewhere, will try and find it. 

wilkie14c 04 Nov 2023

Your own fault now, 8th birthday he’ll be wanting a 4 grand pole 😃

Without fishing or climbing my life would be pretty empty. Often, catching a fish detracts from why you went fishing in the first place 🎣

In reply to philipivan:

> Did you eat it?

I'd imagine not. It's long and thin and made of fibre glass

Michael Hood 04 Nov 2023

> Any other stunningly  scenic fishing spots?

Top of Bempton cliffs!!!

There are notices saying fishing from the cliff top is banned between March and September; i.e. it's ok between October and February.

Can someone explain to me how you fish from the top of a 100m+ cliff!!!

hang_about 05 Nov 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

There are ropes down in places. Never done it - must be challenging on a winter's night, in a gale and rain.

Fishing folk are a bit nuts. Have a look on YouTube for the Slippy Limpets guy. I've fished the easier access parts where he goes and they are not for the faint-hearted. I have down climbed cliffs with fishing gear and met climbers doing it as a route on the way up. Always gave a nonchalant 'ow do?'

Michael Hood 05 Nov 2023
In reply to hang_about:

Just done a web search on this - see https://wirralseafishing.co.uk/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=15839&... and scroll down to the photos.

Looks like they're mainly after cod, they either climb down (and back up) using ropes and ladders (nice piccy) and good knowledge of exactly where to go, or they fish from the top!!!

Nutters 😁, makes most climbing look a bit tame in terms of adventure.

hang_about 05 Nov 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

Yes. Good cod venue. Apparently best in a north easterly I.e. right in your face, at night. I'll stick with my occasional lure fishing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...