UKC

Winter trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 02 Nov 2023

Evening

I got cold this week around my legs in a wet, windy and quite cold Lake District.

What trousers are good for these autumnal/winter days?

Ive got fjallraven Barents underBerghaus deluge overtrousers, so no real insulation. 
 With some helly long johns underneath that’s normally a good combination for the cold, but the long johns aren’t removable easily if too hot.

What I’m after is a fleece or pile lined trouser, with vents to release excess heat.

Any ideas?

thanks a lot

Dave

In reply to Dave the Rave:

I have a lot of pairs of Decathlon's winter soft shell trousers, as I like them so much. I also have their mountaineering trousers; a search of old threads will find many positive comments about those (though the design has changed in the last couple of years).

Three examples of their various warm soft shell trousers:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-mountaineering-trousers-alpinism-light-...
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-warm-water-repellent-hiking-trousers-sh...
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-water-repellent-and-windproof-mountain-...

​​

DaveHK 02 Nov 2023

I've not used them but I like the sound of these:

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/products/kinesis-mens-pant

I have the Kinesis jacket (same fabrics) and it's been excellent.

Post edited at 22:50
 stani 02 Nov 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

I've got some craghoppers fleece lined walking trousers... I barely wear them mind as my legs get too hot. Cheap and do the job when required though!

Ciro 03 Nov 2023

I've got a pair of Karrimor fleece lined trousers that have been my cold weather cragging goto for probably the best part of 15 years, have repaired seams and buttons a couple of times but still going strong through loads of abuse. Don't know what their current offerings are like, but might be worth a look.

Pete Pozman 03 Nov 2023

Sprayway all day waterproof trousers are too hot for a warm wet summer walk but great for cold conditions.  Rohan dry requisite do the same job (wait for a sale.)

Myfyr Tomos 03 Nov 2023

Have you considered Paramo?

midgen 03 Nov 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Highly recommend the Kinesis trousers for winter hills (I also have the jacket), and chilly autumn/spring cragging. Really comfortable and snug, nice soft fabric, but breathe well, with big side zips if you need to cool off. Fabric is very light but tough.

DaveHK 03 Nov 2023
In reply to midgen:

I only got the jacket because was cheap in a bogging colour but I've worn it loads. Fabric seems to be standing up really well to climbing. 

oldie 03 Nov 2023

I use Buffalo HA salopettes. Fibre pile softshell. They have a full leg length zip so easily adjustable venting. The HA ie high altitude bit may be unnecessary but is tougher than the normal model.

olddirtydoggy 03 Nov 2023

A friend of mine uses the ME Switch trousers with what looks like a fibre pile face fabric inside. I asked him if they got clammy but they do have long thigh vents to stop that. ME have a vid on the Youtube machine with all the techy blarb on their channel.

Andrew95 03 Nov 2023

If its anything involving snow or ice and very cold I generally wear a pair of Paramo Salopettes, not sure what model - I bought them for £40 a few years ago in the theory that if I cut them open with crampons I wont cry too much. 

For everything else autumnal I wear Montane (I think its the Mission?), they are not quite fleece lined, but are a much heavier material, stretchy, wind resistant and hold back the rain for a little while - for me the right balance of warmth vs being able to move without overheating. Naturally they come in Montanes extra special 'what size are we getting this week' collection with my older pair being a smaller size and more roomier than the newer larger sized pair.......... 

Only downside for me with the Mission is I would quite like them to be slightly higher waisted. 

OP Dave the Rave 03 Nov 2023
In reply to oldie:

> I use Buffalo HA salopettes. Fibre pile softshell. They have a full leg length zip so easily adjustable venting. The HA ie high altitude bit may be unnecessary but is tougher than the normal model.

Thanks oldie.

What temperature do these become too uncomfortable? I like my buffalo jacket but I reckon +5 degrees with a breeze is it’s too hot limit.

I like fibre pile due to its insulation and have an old double pile jacket for wet and cold days.

Ive also got some Ultrafleece trousers that would do well under a thicker pair of overtrousers. The trousers may need some braces to keep them up though.

Thanks everyone

Dave

oldie 03 Nov 2023

I've worn mine in hot sun. You just unzip each leg from bottom to as near waist as possible and they become just long flaps of material giving minimal warmth as I stroll along. May be inappropriate in some situations.

Halifax rugged mountain pant are flipping boiling!! Do have vents as well.

In reply to captain paranoia:

> I also have their mountaineering trousers; a search of old threads will find many positive comments about those (though the design has changed in the last couple of years).

These didn't come up when I was looking earlier... They're the mountaineering trousers. They're not furry lined, but the fabric is fairly thick, and many people seem to find them warm enough.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-durable-windproof-mountaineering-trouse...

They've been around for ages; there are positive comments on UKC going back to at least 2007. It seems I collected some threads in 2012...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/best_of_decathlon-526536?v=1#x708727...

TobyA reviewed them way back in 2013:

http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2013/03/simond-alpinism-pants-review....

wbo2 04 Nov 2023

Heavyweight softshell.. I've got Mammut basejumps and some ME Tour pants.. but whatever is on sale.

CantClimbTom 08 Nov 2023
In reply to oldie:

> ... ... May be inappropriate in some situations.

You will have to stop holding eye contact and smiling at passers by as you excessively slowly unzip each leg

Wow, I was going to reply to OP that the solution is (long) summer walking trousers but have some "breathable" budget waterproof overtrousers. Then again I still have 1 last pair of RonHills that haven't quite fully disintegrated to wear under the walking trousers, so maybe I am a decade or two behind the consensus here?

Post edited at 10:02
 Bulls Crack 11 Nov 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

With peek-a-boo thigh slash! 

In reply to Bulls Crack:

> With peek-a-boo thigh slash! 

It's what the OP asked for...

Removed User 11 Nov 2023

Being someone who works outside for a living, I actually use the same trousers when trekking in the winter which is Quechua trekking trousers. Being double lined and super quick to dry out makes them an ideal choice for me, even when climbing in snow at low altitudes. Anything higher tends to be a fight between easy movement and warmth, so not an easy question to answer.

OP Dave the Rave 11 Nov 2023
In reply to oldie:

> I use Buffalo HA salopettes. Fibre pile softshell. They have a full leg length zip so easily adjustable venting. The HA ie high altitude bit may be unnecessary but is tougher than the normal model.

Thanks everyone.

I’m erring towards some buffalo salopettes.

The needle sports website suggests the HA ones are for the dry climate only as they’re not easily ventable with the full length zip which is not two way and starts at the foot.

Do you not trip over these oldie, if they’re undone ??

The normal salopetteshave a half zip which allows venting of the thighs, and has no reinforcement which apparently dries poorly, and are more suited to British winter weather.

Thoughts please if you have any.

ta 

Dave

oldie 12 Nov 2023

My HA salopettes have a full length 2way zip so they can be worn just done up at the ankles and just held up by the braces if you want to expose skin in that way (for cooling purposes!). I do walk on easy ground with zips undone at bottom sometimes. Mine are quite old, design may have changed, and there is also a half zip version.The full length length zips give really good, instantly adjustable ventilation IMHO.

Usual warning about Buffalo and marmite applies.

SFM 12 Nov 2023

A less toastie alternative to the Buffalo’s would be Rab VR trews….

https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/walk-hike-c1/clothing-c2/trousers-c42/rab-...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...