UKC

Camera options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Liam Taylor 12 Dec 2023

Firstly, apologies if this has been asked repeatedly already!!

I would like to invest in a good compact or mirror less camera predominantly for stills. I have had SLR's in the past so have a good understanding of aperture/shutter speed etc.

I would like a good quality compact, preferably something that I won't begrudge taking and will fit in my pocket for winter routes and days in the mountains. The Panasonic lx100 ii looked to fit the bill but I think it may be an old model and not readily available.

Are there any comparable options or better alternatives.

Kind regards

Liam

Tony Buckley 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Liam Taylor:

This, or very similar to this, has been asked a few times (one quite recently, if I remember correctly) so a search will pull up lots of useful stuff.

And the key piece of information you didn't include was your budget.  

T.

OP Liam Taylor 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Liam Taylor:

Thanks for your reply, I did have a quick look prior to posting but maybe didn't look hard enough .

Budget is not to much of a priority, but I suppose less than £1000 on a compact should get me something worth owning?

Graeme G 12 Dec 2023
In reply to Liam Taylor:

These guys have lots of options in that budget. RX100 VII or an A6400 plus 18-135 lens.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/category/compact_camera

abr1966 13 Dec 2023
In reply to Liam Taylor:

I posted a similar question on here recently that you will be able to find....

I spent a fair amount of time looking at options for a good compact and also spoke to a couple of people who are seriously in to photography. What helped me was talking it through with them in terms of the type of images I was interested in taking...

In the end I bought a used, in excellent condition, Panasonic Lumix TZ100 from a shop in Sheffield....it was better value than MPB etc.....although I do think MPB is a good place to use... definitely happy with it and pleased I bought something with a longer zoom...

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Dec 2023
In reply to Liam Taylor:

I have had a Sony RX100 vii for a couple of years now, can't really fault it. It is pricey but robust, and was described as 'Best do it all Compact" on DPreview,

Chris

OP Liam Taylor 13 Dec 2023
In reply to Liam Taylor:

Many thanks for the responses it has definitely pointed me in the right direction 

timparkin 16 Dec 2023
In reply to Liam Taylor:

I'm about to sell a Sony RX100 VII as I want to get a DJI Osmo Pocket 3 if you're interested?

Alex Riley 16 Dec 2023
In reply to timparkin:

Read the MPB small print carefully, I got stung with a previously repaired lens that fell apart earlier in he year.

I also moved from Panasonic to Sony but if I had to choose again I probably wouldn't have swapped (Sony tech is great, but the build quality doesn't seem quite a as robust).

Solaris 01 Jan 2024
In reply to Liam Taylor:

Another vote for Sony RX100. I find it is (just) usable with gloves. It's worth considering whether you need video. If not, then the mark 3 or mark 5 would be worth seeking out 2nd hand. Some on here have had problems with damp attacking them, which is a known "flaw" from a climber's point of view. So, be careful is the watchword.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...