UKC

Compact camera....£300'ish!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 08 Oct 2023

Thanks for any thoughts on a compact....happy to buy used. I bought a DSLR and some lenses a while back and whilst I enjoy a day out using them I'm also keen for a camera to take everywhere with me.

It'd be used on the hill mostly but something  versatile would be good....a bit of flex in the budget....any suggestions appreciated!

joeramsay 08 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Usual suggestion is Sony rx100 - whatever generation fits in your budget. I have one and really like it - see for instance Jamie Hageman's gallery on here for what is possible with one

ianstevens 09 Oct 2023
In reply to joeramsay:

> Usual suggestion is Sony rx100 - whatever generation fits in your budget. I have one and really like it - see for instance Jamie Hageman's gallery on here for what is possible with one

Usual suggestion is use your smartphone, if you own a decent one it’s as good as most compact cameras in that price range. 

(I say this as the owner of a full mirrorless setup/as a photography nerd)

Martin Hore 09 Oct 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

> Usual suggestion is use your smartphone, if you own a decent one it’s as good as most compact cameras in that price range. 

>  

> (I say this as the owner of a full mirrorless setup/as a photography nerd)

I picked up a brand new (but obviously not current model) Sony RX100 Mk3 for just over £300.00 about 18 months ago. I'd previously been very happy with a Mk 1 for 8 years or so until it died on me. I'm very happy with my Mk 3 as well. I'd say the biggest advantage over a smart phone is the sensor size, but you also have a lot more control - it's not just a "point and shoot" - although I often use it as such. Of course, if you buy a current model compact camera new for £300.00 it won't have a larger sensor and probably won't be an improvement on a smart phone. New current model Sony RX100's exceed £1000.00 IIRC.

Martin

OP abr1966 09 Oct 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

Thanks....I've been looking at the RX100's which appear on most 'best of...' review comparisons....as always hard to keep within budget as each version upwards seems to appeal.....been looking at the version 3 or 4...

Blue Straggler 09 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Sony NEX6 with standard kit 16-50mm. Mirrorless with interchangeable lenses and therefore rather chunkier (but light weight) and with less zoom range than the RX100. You want versatility. Being able to add a different lens give you versatility (although any lens other than the kit 16-50 will take it beyond "chunk" and into the realm of "might as well have the dSLR". You also get a good electronic viewfinder. I see a fair few (disproportionate to all other cameras, but maybe because this is a very popular model for the hills) posts on here describing RX100s dying at what seems a fairly premature time. 

Maybe an Olympus mirrorless will be better but I have no experience of them. 

edit - here's one. Check out the dimensions etc. Maybe totally wrong for you, I dunno. 

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=sdigsonnex616a&categoryName=came...

Or the same lens on an A6000 for £350 from London Camera Exchange. 

Post edited at 23:03
 Mr. Lee 10 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

I've got a mk 3. I like the pop up viewfinder when difficult to see the LCD (alpine etc). Happy enough with the mk 1 before that. Got a decent phone camera (Samsung A53) but always prefer the Mk 3 for proper photography because of the zoom and RAW format. 

OP abr1966 11 Oct 2023
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Thanks.....I'm still considering what to buy and looks like I will need to extend the budget but the main factor is the zoom. Do you find the range of the mark 3 too limiting and if you were buying now would you choose something with a longer zoom? Cheers

Toerag 11 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Secondhand olympus OMD E-M5 of some sort.

Mr. Lee 11 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

> Do you find the range of the mark 3 too limiting and if you were buying now would you choose something with a longer zoom?

No, the zoom range is plenty for me. 24-70mm is longer than most stock SLR-style mirrorless camera lenses, which are normally around 18-55mm. Probably losing a bit of width on the wide angles but I've never noticed this to be an issue.

Myfyr Tomos 11 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

RX100 mk3 for sale on MPB from £329. I've found them excellent to deal with in the past.

OP abr1966 11 Oct 2023
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Thanks...and agreed...my other equipment has come from MPB. There's another on there in 'excellent" condition for a bit more. I need to decide as I'm away in the lakes in 10 days time and will give it some use. Still slightly unsure about a longer zoom so also been looking at the Panasonic Lumix zs...

Robert Durran 11 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

> Still slightly unsure about a longer zoom so also been looking at the Panasonic Lumix zs...

I was once deliberating between one of those (having been impressed by a friend's one for its versatility including wildlife) and an RX 100 mk3. However I was assured by someone who should know that I would be sacrificing significant image quality especially at the long end. Now the lens on my RX 100 mk 3 won't pop out on turning on and a repair is £260.....

OP abr1966 11 Oct 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

A friend of a friend has the Panasonic and rates it for it's versatility....most people really rate the Sony also!

£260 repair sounds steep...painful!

I'm leaning towards the Panasonic I think....I'm not technically knowledgeable but from my basic understanding the lens, megapixels and sensor all seem decent...and the extra zoom will be better for everyday use...

Robert Durran 11 Oct 2023
In reply to abr1966:

> £260 repair sounds steep...painful!

Yes, a toss up with a new one.

> I'm leaning towards the Panasonic I think....I'm not technically knowledgeable but from my basic understanding the lens, megapixels and sensor all seem decent...and the extra zoom will be better for everyday use...

For all round use, I think it will be an excellent all rounder. I was impressed with my friend's wildlife photos from Africa, but I didn't want it to be shown up alongside photos from my "big" camera.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...