UKC

Digitising 8mm cine film ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 31 Aug 2023

chatting to my mum about what to do with the family collection of cine film . We haven’t had a projector for sone years so we would need to buy one to watch them. Looking at eBay they don’t seem too expensive ( £30 ish  ?)    My suggestion is that we look into digitising them . I’ve just looked at eBay ( 8mm cine digitiser ) and there is a bit of kit for £200 . I suspect it may not be that good but it is possibly adequate ? Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions ?

Graeme G 31 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123:

Can't comment on 8mm but I digitised all my old VHS-C tapes a few years ago. All with great ease.

OP mike123 31 Aug 2023
In reply to Graeme G: I wonder if it would be possible to set up a good ish dslr pointed at a screen on which the films were projected much in the way films used to be pirated with a hand held at the cinema ? Something tells me it would nt work ?

Graeme G 31 Aug 2023
In reply to mike123:

Sounds daft. I haven’t watched this video, but it suggests you can capture 8mm with an elgato capture card. Which is what I used.

youtube.com/watch?v=rNQ5teAN0yQ&

OP mike123 01 Sep 2023
In reply to Graeme G: thanks . Very useful link , led me to Amazon / eBay  digistiser   I think I’ve found what I need and I will wait for one to pop on eBay . I like this line in the Amazon ad “ What a funny and interesting machines you worth owning! “

Graeme G 01 Sep 2023
In reply to mike123:

Lol. Glad to have helped.

Iamgregp 01 Sep 2023
In reply to mike123:

Works fine - at my work we have a researcher out at the US national archives doing exactly this to make us screeners.  If any of it makes the final programmes we'll get it telecined, but for just watching it looks great.

Rob Parsons 01 Sep 2023
In reply to mike123:

If you want a good digitised result, then I would suggest considering commercial telecine services. As an example, a service like this one: https://www.alivestudios.co.uk/cine-film-transfer/

OP mike123 01 Sep 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons: thanks . First step will be to try to watch it all in low res and decide what’s worth spending money on . It’s about 40 rolls . It’s years since we had a working projector so not really sure what’s on most of it .

Graeme G 01 Sep 2023
In reply to mike123:

When I used the elgato do digitise my VHS-C I was amazed at how little an amount of memory I needed. Megabytes for hours of video. Meant I could just plug and play and go other things whilst it was converting. Much easier to edit out the bits I didn’t want from the digital video once converted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...