UKC

Recovering photos from CF Express Card

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 14 Aug 2023

Anybody know how to recover deleted RAW filed from a CF Express card that was stupidly Formatted?

I can recover JPEGS from some older software I have from years ago. But is there any new stuff that can work with modern NVME cards please?

OP The Lemming 14 Aug 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Hopeful bump

65 14 Aug 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

There may be something something helpful in here: https://havecamerawilltravel.com/memory-card-recover-photos/

Mike-W-99 14 Aug 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

It’s been years since I used it but photorec is very powerful. It ignores file systems so I’d have thought it would work on your drive

Hard to tell if it has the signatures for all raw formats.

In reply to 65:

I shall check it out then I get home.

Cheers

In reply to Mike-W-99:

> It’s been years since I used it but photorec is very powerful. It ignores file systems so I’d have thought it would work on your drive

> Hard to tell if it has the signatures for all raw formats.

Just read about this earlier and I'll give it a go. Hopefully it will recognise Panasonic RW2 filters.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Aug 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I always thought if you formatted the card you were stuffed? I have used Disc Drill in past to recover deleted stuff with some success,

Chris

In reply to Chris Craggs:

> I always thought if you formatted the card you were stuffed? I have used Disc Drill in past to recover deleted stuff with some success,

> Chris

I'm going to give Disk Drill a go tonight.

And formatting a drive is not a safe way to delete stuff. It's just a quick way to make space for new stuff.

In reply to The Lemming:

Well, I had a go with Drill Down after reading a lot of reviews. I downloaded the Free Trial and it said that there was 50-60Gb of images that could be recovered but the free trial would only let me recover 500mb of information.

So I bit the bullet and bought a licence for £83.

I got £83 worth of RAW files which were completely blank. To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement.

I then tried the suggestion of PhotoRec. Its still got half an hour to go and so far it has found all my RAW images from the Air Show of the Red Arrows.

Yes I should have tried the free software first however I thought that the Paid for Software would have worked perfectly and I would have been happy to hand over the cash.

But as it is, the Paid for software did not produce the goods and I paid £83 to learn a valuable lesson.

Try the free stuff first, with the proviso that it may cause further damage to your data storage.

You pay's your money and you takes your choice.

Bottom line PhotoRec was able to find my fairly new RAW file format photos and I am once a gain a happy bunny.

Blue Straggler 15 Aug 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I am sorry to hear this. I think in your position I might have been tempted to do the same. Your attitude is commendable. I assume you are writing off the £83 (and again I'd probably do similar) but it does stink a bit that some freeware did what the paid-for thing failed to do. 

Mike-W-99 15 Aug 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Glad my suggestion worked out for you in the end. Free does not always equal inferior as you found out. 

From the disk drill website - "*100% Money-back Guarantee. Preview is the only way to verify your file recovery. It’s always free to preview your recoverable data in Disk Drill. If Disk Drill showed you the proper preview, but recovered files turned out to be corrupted, we will refund your purchase."

OP The Lemming 15 Aug 2023
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Glad my suggestion worked out for you in the end. Free does not always equal inferior as you found out. 

> From the disk drill website - "*100% Money-back Guarantee. Preview is the only way to verify your file recovery. It’s always free to preview your recoverable data in Disk Drill. If Disk Drill showed you the proper preview, but recovered files turned out to be corrupted, we will refund your purchase."

The company are disputing the request for a refund as they have a no refund policy but will consider on a case by case basis.

They have given me a lot of hoops to jump through before they will consider my request, which I made within an hour of purchase.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

> From the disk drill website - "*100% Money-back Guarantee. Preview is the only way to verify your file recovery. It’s always free to preview your recoverable data in Disk Drill. If Disk Drill showed you the proper preview, but recovered files turned out to be corrupted, we will refund your purchase."

Would it be possible for you to give me a link to the page/site which says money back?

I’ve gone through the site and can not find any reference to this.

cheers

Mike-W-99 15 Aug 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

It’s in the small print about 3/4 of the way down.

https://www.cleverfiles.com/lp/data-recovery-software.html

In reply to Mike-W-99:

That small print is fairly bombproof to weedle out of paying back anything.

However I shall be polite and try my best.

Quote from company

"If you are interested in further investigation, please provide additional information to help us have another look at your case to reconsider if we can make an exception to our no-refund policy."

Post edited at 11:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...