UKC

What size print?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graeme G 25 Jan 2024

I finally have a photo I'd like to print. It's 20.3MB (5562 × 2906). Ratio is 2:1.

I'd like to stick it on a wall so assume 300dpi should suffice. But how big can I go before it loses definition?

TIA

jethro kiernan 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Graeme G:

You can try and upscale it using photoshop. I’ve printed quite small crops on A3+ And the prints looked pretty good.

OP Graeme G 25 Jan 2024
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Don't have photoshop. And probably wouldn't to purchase for just this print. Although, I suppose I might want to print more in the future.....

Myfyr Tomos 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Graeme G:

I've used  https://www.thepixelprinter.com/  in the past. Very helpful with regards to file size and presentation. Reasonable prices and good results.

OP Graeme G 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Thanks

In reply to Graeme G:

I would second Myfyr's suggestion. I have sold literally hundreds of prints in the last 10 years, all of them have come from the Pixel Printer.

OP Graeme G 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

Thanks again. Any idea how large I could go? Is 1m by 50cm overly ambitious?

Marek 25 Jan 2024
OP Graeme G 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Marek:

Thanks. I’ll maybe just have to test the water with my first one.

In reply to Graeme G:

I used to print up to A1 with a 20mp sensor at 300dpi with no loss of quality. Get in touch with Julian at the Pixel Printer and he'll tell you how big you can go.

OP Graeme G 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

Brilliant. Thank you. Just need the missus to agree to my taking up a large part of the living room wall…..

Kayvon 24 Feb 2024
In reply to Graeme G:

I assume the printing company would have answers to your questions, unless you are printing it yourself

Mike Hutton 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Graeme G:

Hi Graeme

I wouldn't get over worried about the 300 dpi hype. I see so much talk about this on the web by people who don't even own a printer. 

I have printed  hundreds of prints to sell to customers and can regularly print up to A2 on paper for your image size. 

You can go as low as 100 dpi often for canvas. Infact I have one at A1 from a 5000 pixel long image.

Happy to print your image for modest ammount

OP Graeme G 29 Feb 2024
In reply to Mike Hutton:

Thanks for the offer. Sadly I’ve still not convinced the missus to commit to the expense. 

Dan Arkle 29 Feb 2024
In reply to Graeme G:

If expense holds people back for big prints, then consider printing on canvas. 

The detail is reduced, which is a shame, but can be flattering to lower resolution files.

However the overall cost is often only a third of the price of getting a big print and framing it well. 

Marek 29 Feb 2024
In reply to Mike Hutton:

> I wouldn't get over worried about the 300 dpi hype....

Agreed. 300dpi is only relevant for a print that viewed at ~30cm distance (e.g., book reading distance) by someone with perfect("20/20") vision. For a wall mounted picture you're probably viewing at ~1m, so 100dpi is plenty. I've had a somewhat cropped 3 Mpx image printed ~70cm wide and it still looked fine on a wall. If it's a good image, people will look at the picture not the pixels.

fotoVUE 29 Feb 2024
In reply to Graeme G:

150dpi should suffice and you should be able to go up to A1 - from the viewing distance because of visual acuity it should look great. Going smaller will increase resolution.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...